Server 10.4 and Snoop Dog: Failed to Swizzle.....

Jump to solution
03-08-2016 12:10 PM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not making this up, yo....

In 10.4 SVR, when publishing a service, among other errors related to failure, I'm now getting:

SEVERE

Failed swizzling the service.

2016-03-08T14:55:42

System/PublishingTools.GPServer

What is swizzling and why it its failure related to publishing failing?

I have never seen this before......

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielSieger
Esri Contributor

Swizzling is the process where ArcGIS Server renames the paths for layers and other data within the MXD so that the MXD can be used by ArcGIS Server after publishing.

At publishing, the current MXD is put into a service definition file (SD File). This SD file is copied to the ArcGIS Server machine and un-packaged for use in the service.

If you are copying data to the ArcGIS Server, the paths need to be changed to point to the ArcGIS Server's directories where the copied MXD and data reside. These paths will be Swizzled.

If you are using a registered data store with the workflow where your server and publishing locations do not match, you will see the ArcGIS Server swizzle the paths.

You can see this workflow in the following document under this sub section title.

The publisher's machine and the server are working with different databases. Source: About registering your data with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Fo shizzle?

View solution in original post

16 Replies
DanielSieger
Esri Contributor

Swizzling is the process where ArcGIS Server renames the paths for layers and other data within the MXD so that the MXD can be used by ArcGIS Server after publishing.

At publishing, the current MXD is put into a service definition file (SD File). This SD file is copied to the ArcGIS Server machine and un-packaged for use in the service.

If you are copying data to the ArcGIS Server, the paths need to be changed to point to the ArcGIS Server's directories where the copied MXD and data reside. These paths will be Swizzled.

If you are using a registered data store with the workflow where your server and publishing locations do not match, you will see the ArcGIS Server swizzle the paths.

You can see this workflow in the following document under this sub section title.

The publisher's machine and the server are working with different databases. Source: About registering your data with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Fo shizzle?

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Love the last line! I'm getting this on a SQL View, which publishes fine on 10.3.1, but fails to drizzle the swizzle on 10.4.

DanielSieger
Esri Contributor

You aren't using SQL Server 2008 are you?

ArcGIS Server 10.4 does not support SQL Server 2008.

http://downloads2.esri.com/support/TechArticles/W34229_DEPRECATION_PLAN_FOR_ARCGIS_10_4_and_10_3_1__...

Is this a non-geodatabase? By this, I mean a SQL Server database that has not been enabled as an SDE geodatabase? You can right click on the database connection file in ArcMap to check this.

Can you publish anything from this same database to the 10.4 ArcGIS Server?

Can you try to publish a query layer of a single table? In ArcMap, File > Add Data > Add Query Layer > in the query box, enter select * from tablename.

Do you get swizzling errors on all publishing attempts? Or, just on publishing this view? Or all views?

How complex is the SQL view?

Can you test a another view with some simplified SQL instead of the full view?

-Daniel

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

In Dekstop 10.3.1 File->Add Data->Add Query layer:

Use this query:

SELECT        dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.LOC_NAME, dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.LOC_NOTES, dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.WATERSHED,                           dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.COUNTY, dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.STATE, dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.LOCATIONDESCRIPTION,                           dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.LOCATIONNOTES, dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.FCSubtype, dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.SPECCOM,                           dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.Location_Type, dbo.RARE_tbl_Events.Start_Date, dbo.RARE_tbl_Events.Observation_NOTES, dbo.RARE_tbl_Events.EditDate,                           dbo.RARE_tbl_Events.Event_ID, dbo.RARE_tlu_Species.taxaGroup, dbo.RARE_tlu_Species.Genus, dbo.RARE_tlu_Species.Species,                           dbo.RARE_tlu_Species.Species_GUID, dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.LOCATION_ID, dbo.RAREPOINT.SHAPE, dbo.RAREPOINT.GIS_LOCATION_ID FROM            dbo.RARE_tlu_Species INNER JOIN                          dbo.RARE_tbl_Events ON dbo.RARE_tlu_Species.Species_ID = dbo.RARE_tbl_Events.Species_ID INNER JOIN                          dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS ON dbo.RARE_tbl_Events.Location_ID = dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.LOCATION_ID INNER JOIN                          dbo.RAREPOINT ON dbo.RARE_VIEW_LOCATIONS.OBJECTID = dbo.RAREPOINT.OBJECTID WHERE        (dbo.RARE_tlu_Species.Species_GUID = 'abcd1234')

Publish to SVR 10.3.1 as a map service with dynamic workspace enabled.

Works.

Publish to SVR 10.4

as a map service with dynamic workspace enabled.

Works.

In ArcMap, instead of a query layer, make a view in SQL and add the view to TOC.

Publish to SVR 10.3.1 as a map service with dynamic workspace enabled.

Works.

Publish to SVR 10.4

as a map service with dynamic workspace enabled.

Fails

Failed to create the service.: Updating the server connection string for layer RARE.dbo.Spatial_View_Hellbender failed. Attempted connection string was SERVER=AASABBBB;INSTANCE="DSID=4ad33bec-ac5e-43b6-984a-ddfc1f78df98";DBCLIENT=sqlserver;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=AASABBBB;DATABASE=RARE;VERSION=dbo.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=OSA. Table name is RARE.DBO.%Spatial_View_Hellbender. Please verify the data exists on the server..

Error executing tool. PublishServiceDefinition Job ID: j6fcd5f1eea7b45829411fed0e4178aaa : ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details. (less) ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

In all cases:

SQL is 2014 Enterprise, feature class is Geography Storage type non-versioned, SDE 10.3.1, Windows Auth ONLY, service acccount(s) have correct permission to the tables and views.

Since publishing a SQL view works in SVR 10.3.1, and doesn't work in 10.4, I'm leaning towards there's nothing wrong with my data and something wrong with 10.4.

Publishing a "regular" table (feature class) works in 10.4 as a map/feature service.

DanielSieger
Esri Contributor

This is a complex issue. There are many more questions that we need to look into.

Would you be willing to open a case with support? We can investigate the inconsistent behavior.

ShaunConway
Occasional Contributor II

Any update on this? We are experiencing the same issue.

0 Kudos
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

This sounds very similar to behaviour I am currently experiencing with a base deployment ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 stack (with publisher patch applied)  

• I have a SQL Server 2016 Express instance.
  • This is registered with the ArcGIS GIS Server as a data store and validates fine.
  • The GIS Server also has the SQL Server Native client 64bit installed.
  • I have a very simple query layer pulling a SQL geometry points table into ArcGIS Pro.
  • When attempting to publish this layer as Web Layer, I get ERROR 001487 in the Server logs.
  • Have also tried from ArcMap and from an ArcGIS Pro instance on the same machine as the GIS Server.

Did you resolve your issue?  Looking for further troubleshooting tips to solve my issue.

SebastianBosbach
New Contributor III

Hi Simon,

could you meanwhile fix your problem?

I am having the exact same issue as you have.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

To be honest, I have no idea what I did to fix it. It went to TS, and they had me push a lot of buttons...and the error went away....

0 Kudos