Select the appropriate coordinate system

Jump to solution
09-21-2016 01:10 AM
jipcikthown
New Contributor

Hi

I have a geodatabase in which in D_WGS_1984 datum and UTM zone projection. Now I need to use OpenStreetMap or googlemaps imagery WMS layer as base layer and overlay the datasets in Arcgis javascript web application . that I can Project basemap service in WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere  and do Overlay , but after create services and load in arcgis javascript when i use geometry query database need transform result from utm zone geodatabase to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Spher e to show on map and this transform slow show the result  .

select st_x(st_transform(shape,3857)),st_y(st_transform(shape,3857)) from sde.lyr_mof  limit 1 

please help to select the appropriate way or other way:

1 - change the coordinate system of geodatabase data from UTM ZONE to  WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere (wkid 3857) by batch projection toolbox

2 - publish OpenStreetMap or googlemaps imagery WMS layer as base layer to UTM zone projection

very Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

This question is unfortunately incoherent.

But for what it is worth. #2 - How are you publishing googlemaps imagery or OSM?  For OSM, you must have made your own local basemap, for google imagery, you would be violating legal use agreements to have offline or create your own tiles.  You must have these offline or locally tile scraped to even be able to 'Publish' in the first place.

If you are publishing locally, you can choose any projection you choose at this point. 

The main reason to follow WKID 3857 is because the online resources are in that projection. (e.g. BING / ESRI / google / etc)

You can publish your own content in a separate service in any projection you wish.  Reprojection just has to take place. Or to streamline, you create a WEB geodatabase that has all the information in the same aux sphere projection.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

This question is unfortunately incoherent.

But for what it is worth. #2 - How are you publishing googlemaps imagery or OSM?  For OSM, you must have made your own local basemap, for google imagery, you would be violating legal use agreements to have offline or create your own tiles.  You must have these offline or locally tile scraped to even be able to 'Publish' in the first place.

If you are publishing locally, you can choose any projection you choose at this point. 

The main reason to follow WKID 3857 is because the online resources are in that projection. (e.g. BING / ESRI / google / etc)

You can publish your own content in a separate service in any projection you wish.  Reprojection just has to take place. Or to streamline, you create a WEB geodatabase that has all the information in the same aux sphere projection.