Select to view content in your preferred language

REST Service Logs

10-03-2023 08:04 AM
aam
by
Frequent Contributor

Hello, is there a way to see log/stats/info for all requests hitting a particular REST endpoint?

Does anyone know how and from where you'd get that information? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you want everything, check your web adaptor logs. That should have a record of every GET / POST request that comes in. We use Microsoft IIS for ours, and it logs to text files on the machine. You can also have those logs pipe into another service, like AWS Cloudwatch, among many, many others.

Once you've got your logs, it's a simple text search to isolate entries for a specific URL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
aam
by
Frequent Contributor

Will it tell me what record/attribute was accessed? Let's say I have Ownership parcel and I want to know who accessed the ownership info and when - would this log be able to provide this info?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe? Part of the request would be the query, so a GET request might have "where=some_condition" tacked on. An edit comes through as a POST, and I'm not sure about retrieving the edit payload, where the record ids would be.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Frequent Contributor

The web asptor log should include the IP address of the computer where the request originated.  Is your server internal or is it public facing?

The log will also include the entire URL of the request.  The Parcel ID that is being requested should be included.  Combining the IP address and the Parcel ID you would have a good picture of who looked at what if you can resolve the IP address to an individual computer or person.

Bernie.

0 Kudos
aam
by
Frequent Contributor

It's a public facing server. I will have a look at the logs for web adaptor. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava
Frequent Contributor

Hello @aam 

I would recommend using "System Log Parser" this tool is an ArcGIS for Server (10.1+) log query and analyzer tool to help you quickly quantify the GIS usage in your deployment.

When run, it connects to an ArcGIS for Server instance on port 443/6443/6080/80 as a publisher (or an administrator), retrieves the logs from a time duration (specified as an input), analyzes the information then produces a spreadsheet version of the data that summarizes the service statistics

https://community.esri.com/t5/implementing-arcgis-blog/arcgis-enterprise-analysis-with-system-log-pa... 

Hope it helps!

-Archit

0 Kudos