Require administrative approval for new accounts in Portal?

08-15-2017 02:22 PM
CassandraFollett
New Contributor III

Just setting up Portal... seems anyone that hits "Register" gets assigned a new account instantly. How do I require that a registration request be approved by an administrator role? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
CassandraFollett
New Contributor III

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Whelp…without something more solid, you could:

1. Stop the portal

2. Make a backup of /portal/customizations/10.5.1/webapps/arcgis#home/js/arcgisonline/config.js

3. Open this file in your favorite text editor and set the showSignUp property to false,

4. Start the portal back up again.

Note: This workflow is very unsupported. Have a backup of config.js handy. No warranty is expressed or implied. Mileage may vary.

CassandraFollett
New Contributor III

Hey Randall, 

I reached out to ESRI support before going forward with that idea  Luckily we figured out this issue. 

I already had a property set in the portal system settings. For some reason it didn't occur to me to add additional properties in the same bracket.

This is what I was doing:

{"WebContextURL":[webcontextURL]}

{"disableSignup": "true"}

This wasn't working because, as soon as the first property was read, it wouldn't search for the next set of brackets! As soon as I realized what was happening, I felt silly. 

What I needed was this:

{"WebContextURL": [webcontextURL], "disableSignup": "true"}

Once I did this, it worked without issue. 

Hopefully leaving this explanation here might help someone else as well  

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I browsed through the documentation, and I can see why this would confuse users. It may be implied, but I don't immediately see that multiple configuration options need to be defined in the same JSON block. I see it in older doc for ArcGIS Server though.

KubaSzostak1
New Contributor III

{"disableSignup": "true"} works only partially on my fresh install of Portal 10.5.1. There is no "Create account" on plain login page, but:

1. In Groups section there is "Sing up now" link which is working. 
  2. Entering incorrect password also allow anyone to create new account
  3. Entering link https://webadaptor.domain.com/portal/home/signup.html in the browser allow anyone to create new account at Level 2(!)

With those issues we aren't able to publish our Portal to the Internet. Any solution for above issues?

SebastianCabrera
Esri Contributor

Hello Kuba, did you solved the signup issue you described? If so, how? Is this a bug?

0 Kudos
KubaSzostak1
New Contributor III

It is still present at 10.6. You can change it by setting advanced portal options (see how) and changing signup variable to something neutral, eg.

signup: "index.html" 

Regards

Kuba

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try Disabling anonymous access—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise ?

1. Sign in to the portal website as an Administrator of your organization and click the Edit Settings button.
  2. Click the Security link on the left side of the page.
  3. Uncheck the Allow anonymous access to your portal option.
  4. Click Save to apply your change.

If you're using web tier authentication (that is, you're performing authentication through ArcGIS Web Adaptor), disable anonymous access on your web server (For Windows). 

Think Location
0 Kudos
CassandraFollett
New Contributor III

Thanks Jayanta... but are you sure this applies to my situation? I don't want to restrict people from seeing the Portal resources outside of the organization; I want to restrict the ability to request for accounts without administrative approval. As it is, merely clicking "Create Account" instantly creates an account. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Disabling anonymous access will disable the option of registering to Portal by anonymous users from the landing page. Only those users can login, whose account have been created by the administrator (existing users).

All the maps that have been shared with public on landing page, could be seen by all the users without creating logins.

Think Location
0 Kudos