Renaming machine hosting ArcGIS Server

04-11-2017 11:52 AM
SharonMeier
New Contributor III

I recently completed the setup/configuration of the WebGIS/Big Data Store and GeoEvent.   ArcGIS/Portal on one machine, Big Data Store on machine two, and GeoEvent on machine three.   Following the setup I discovered that the ArcGIS Server/Portal machine was named incorrectly.   We renamed the machine to meet our naming conventions and now I'm having issues connecting to my ArcGIS server and my Portal.   How do I resolve the name issues?   My initial thought was to unfederate the server/portal, but I'm not sure how to do that when I can't access the Portal.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Unfortunately,changing the portal machine name is not supported.  I think you'll need to set it back to what it was, if possible.

SharonMeier
New Contributor III

Thank you.   That is what I have discovered.     Fortunately we haven't yet started using this for production so it will be safe to uninstall portal and reinstall it so that it is installed with the new name. 

0 Kudos
Brownschuh
Occasional Contributor II

I'm encountering this issue right now; we had a host machine name change and now our portal is broken.  Luckily we are still in the testing phase, so nothing is lost really.

Sharon, we're you able to successfully uninstall/reinstall portal?  Was it as simple as going through the Control Panel and using Programs and Features to uninstall it?  I feel like I'm missing some steps ... seems too simplistic ...

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Will changing the portal name ever be supported?  I think this might be extremely helpful when upgrading the software if you want to keep the name intact but install the software on a newer server, as it would drastically reduce the amount of work required to get the new server up and running.

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

We have these types of migration related workflows on our radar for 10.6 and on, so it's something we hope to support in the future.

LakshmananVenkatesan2
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

Any update on this?. We are undergoing machine name change on ArcGIS 10.6.0. It would be helpful to know more about this.

0 Kudos