Select to view content in your preferred language

Removing ArcGIS License Server by Providing Licenses Locally

Jump to solution
05-18-2023 07:19 AM
DevonCasey
New Contributor

Greetings!

My company is trying to do some pruning of unnecessary VMs that we have running on our servers. One of the ones on the potential chopping block is our ArcGIS License server, which runs on a VM all by its lonesome. The guy familiar with the software is no longer with us, and we wanted to know if there was any way to get the licenses registered to our employee’s machines locally so we don't have to maintain a VM for this one application. Apologies if this is in the wrong place or a silly question.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

Adding to what @berniejconnors said above, I would recommend moving this to another VM that is always running that multiple admins can access. Because of the small footprint of the software, it can be installed on a VM that is performing other functions with limited impact on performance.

If there is only one user that uses the license and they always use the same machine, then that computer can be authorized with a Single-use license. If you are using ArcGIS Pro, and your licensing supports it, you can also set up your AGO user accounts with licenses hosted in the cloud

Desktop

ArcGIS Pro

Named User Licensing in Pro

View solution in original post

4 Replies
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

ArcGIS License server uses very few server resources.  It could easily be migrated to another VM and not cause any problems.  You will have to first de-authorize the licenses on your existing VM and re-authorize the licenses on the other VM.  Do some research first - https://t.ly/vivGE

TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

Adding to what @berniejconnors said above, I would recommend moving this to another VM that is always running that multiple admins can access. Because of the small footprint of the software, it can be installed on a VM that is performing other functions with limited impact on performance.

If there is only one user that uses the license and they always use the same machine, then that computer can be authorized with a Single-use license. If you are using ArcGIS Pro, and your licensing supports it, you can also set up your AGO user accounts with licenses hosted in the cloud

Desktop

ArcGIS Pro

Named User Licensing in Pro

DevonCasey
New Contributor

This is some great information! Thank you Bernie and Tony.

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler

Completely agree with @berniejconnors and @TonyContreras_Frisco_TX .  Move the license manager!

Single Use (SU) license management in a large organization is a headache.  There isn't a one size fits all solution.  I advocate Concurrent Use (CU) supplemented by Named User AGOL or Enterprise license delivery to end users.    For our org, we use all three.  For our Internet connected ArcGIS Pro users they get Named User from AGOL, for our authorized componenets with just a few licenses CU, for our Interent disconnected environments either CU or SU depending on the use case.

MY PLUG FOR Esri.  Recall a number of years ago the Esri announcement to deprecate license manager component.  Please don't!!!!  When we have to support many different environments both Internet and non-Internett connected, the CU licenensing is still a viable solution for supporting more than one user on more than one computer. 

0 Kudos