Select to view content in your preferred language

Recommended startup order (and delay) of the ArcGIS Enterprise Services

10-26-2022 04:41 AM
dstrigl
New Contributor III

Dear community,

when runnung ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Data Store), what's the recommended order of starting the three services (and which delay in between)?

It looks like on our system there's a problem with the default behaviour with the Hosted Feature Layer.

They doesn't work after a restart of the server. Only after manually stop and restart ArcGIS Server they will work.

Regards,

Daniel.

6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure there is an official start up "direction", but I use a batch script with the following process:

net start "Portal for ArcGIS"
echo "Wait for Portal to spin up..."
timeout /t 300 /nobreak
net start "ArcGIS Server"
echo "Waiting for server..."
timeout /t 240 /nobreak
net start "ArcGIS Data Store"
echo "Waiting for datastore..."
timeout /t 240 /nobreak

I usually wait about 4 - 5 minutes between them.

--- George T.
DanReid
New Contributor II

That's funny, I use exactly the opposite order. My reasoning is that Portal can't function properly without Server, and Server can't function properly without Data Store, so I start with Data Store, then Server, then Portal. Agree about needing a few minutes between starting each of them, and if Server has a lot of services in it, it could take more than five minutes to fully start up. 

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

and the config-store(s) in HA setup

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

web adaptor(s) too

0 Kudos
dstrigl
New Contributor III

Thanks so far for your answers ... yeah, it's quite interesting: I also got different startup scripts with different start orders from some colleagues, which they are using.

What I heard so far is that Portal should be started first, because it handles all the authentication.

0 Kudos
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

I just ran into the same issue on a single-machine enterprise deployment. ESRI technical support recommended Portal => Datastore => Server. Doing this manually fixes datastore access if I wait for Portal to fully start before starting datastore.

In the Services settings, Tech support also suggested automatical service start for Portal and Datastore and then delayed restart for Server.  We currently have Datastore on delayed restart. I'm going to test changing this to automatic.

If this doesn't work, then we will go down the script route.

0 Kudos