Select to view content in your preferred language

Re-use the ArcGIS Server account for a new fresh deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3

yesterday
berniejconnors
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I have been an ArcGIS Server admin for many years but rarely had to be hands-on with an install of ArcGIS Enterprise.  I am just about to start an install of 11.3 on a new Windows VM (Windows Server 2022 Standard).  This will be our new DEV environment.  The current DEV environment is 10.8.1.  It is running on another VM and already has an ArcGIS Server account.  Lets call this account "arcgis_DEV".  Can I re-use the "arcgis_DEV" account for the ArcGIS Server account on my new 11.3 DEV environment?  My intuition says "yes" but I would like confirmation.

Thanks,

Bernie.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you going to use webgisdr to transfer content from your existing 10.8.1 Portal?

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Frequent Contributor

I did not know the use of webgisdr would have an impact on the account I chose to use as the ArcGIS Server account.

No, we won't be using webgisdr.  webgisdr is a data backup / recovery tool and can only restore to the same platform version.  It cannot be used to migrate data from an older version to my new 11.3 Portal.

But we are lucky, there is so little content in the 10.8.1 Portal that it can be easily re-created in a day or two in the new 11.3 Portal.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you thought about just performing an inplace upgrade on your current server(s) instead of building out a new server(s)?  In this way you would be using the same account.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Frequent Contributor

No, that's not an option.  The old VMs were created in 2016 and are using Windows Server 2012 and must be replaced.  A fresh install on a fresh VM is required.

0 Kudos
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I use the same account each time I upgrade my Enterprise. We use one server and don't publish a test environment at this time. 

berniejconnors
Frequent Contributor

The exisitng "arcgis_DEV" account is in Active Directory, it's not a local account.  However, it is not a Group managed service account (gMSA).  I am being encouraged by my IT department to create a new gMSA account for the ArcGIS Server account.  However, this will incur a delay for the account request and creation.  Any thoughts on using a gMSA account?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does your organization not support an inplace upgrade of the Windows Server operating system?

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Frequent Contributor

They are VM's.  Very easy to delete and create.  A fresh new VM will always be cleaner than a VM with an upgraded OS.  

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Simple answer ‘yes’.  There are no issues.  

I recommend them to be different accounts for different server roles, but given your new servers are a direct replacement of the old then they can (even should) be the same.

an added advantage is that if you’re using an Enterprise Geodatabase then you don’t have to change any permissions!  🙂

several of my clients have now completed in-situ OS upgrades.  Not sure if you can do that with 2012 but certainly 2019 onwards.  However: I still prefer a side-by-side approach like you are taking when it’s just ArcGIS server.

have fun. 

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos