Select to view content in your preferred language

"The table or feature class corresponding to the view is read-only." Data is in enterprise DB and user has read/write permission.

Jump to solution
04-16-2024 06:21 AM
MDB_GIS
Occasional Contributor III

MatthewBeal_0-1713273548495.png

One of my users is trying to add a new attribute field to data that is stored in a traditionally versioned enterprise SQL geodatabase. She has the exact same SQL server permissions that I do as far as I can tell. For some reason I can edit the schema, but she can't. Any ideas what is going on here? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

So if I created the layer, there is no way at all for her to modify the schema?

That is correct, only the data owner can update the schema. If the table is something like this: dbname."Domain\MattBeal".tablename then only you would be able to update.

If you want to have a list of users that can make the changes. You would need to load the data as a DB user / data owner. You could then share the UN / PW or a connection file, with those users that would allow access.

Just know that they would be able to full permissions on the table. Which means they can modify anything in the table properties, include deleting the table.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

If you are updating the schema of the feature class you need to connect as the data owner. Are you connecting as the data owner?

Are you both connecting as the same user to SQL Server?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MDB_GIS
Occasional Contributor III

No. We are both connecting as OS authenticated users. So if I created the layer, there is no way at all for her to modify the schema? I created a layer with bare minimum attribution with the intent of allowing her to add only the attributes that are needed for the project as the need arises. I would really like for members of the core GIS team to be able to add fields to dataset as needed rather than have to wait for me to do it for them. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

So if I created the layer, there is no way at all for her to modify the schema?

That is correct, only the data owner can update the schema. If the table is something like this: dbname."Domain\MattBeal".tablename then only you would be able to update.

If you want to have a list of users that can make the changes. You would need to load the data as a DB user / data owner. You could then share the UN / PW or a connection file, with those users that would allow access.

Just know that they would be able to full permissions on the table. Which means they can modify anything in the table properties, include deleting the table.

--- George T.