"Failure to access the DBMS server" with feature service

01-13-2016 12:27 AM
RomanChueh
New Contributor III

On one server I have ArcSDE running in SQL Server 2012 (SP2), and another server I have ArcGIS 10.3.1 Server hosting a feature service that access the ArcSDE database.   The feature service runs fine until I see the following error message in the ArcGIS Server log:

Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [08S01:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

And then the following error message on every feature service request:

Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure]

It seems database connection was temporary disconnected, and  the only solution is to restart the service manually. 

My question is:  Why wouldn't the Feature Service reconnect with ArcSDE?  Is there anyway around this beside restart the service manually?

Thanks,

Roman

23 Replies
NikSands1
New Contributor

We have the same issue here with the same version of ArcGIS Server and MSSQL.

In our case, another work around when the Feature Service fails in this way is to run a query against the equivalent Map Service (which works) and then go back to run the query against the Feature Service and then the feature service works again.

Does this work for you?

I've not yet logged a job with Esri for this as I'm just in the early information-gathering stage, but I will probably log a job tomorrow if it occurs again then.

For us, it occurs most mornings.  My guess at this point is that there is something causing high load on the server overnight (eg, backups, or some maintenance processing tasks) which is slowing down the system so much that it thinks it's lost its database connection.  However, there should be no reason why it cannot recover from this.

Yes, I have it set to reconnect every 30 minutes as per the default.

0 Kudos
RomanChueh
New Contributor III

HI Nik,

No, the feature service never recover from the failure.  I would have to restart the service to get it back up running. 

Similar to you, the problem seems to be occurs overnight, when database backups are happening.  Therefore, I setup the service to recycle itself after the backups, and that seems to fixed this problem.

0 Kudos
BenjaminBlackshear
New Contributor III

i've been having this issue too and i think the problem is with the version of SQL server.

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.5—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

we are running SQL Server 2012 SP1 instead of SP3 which is the minimum requirement. havent upgraded yet so i dont know if that will fix it, but seems likely.

HelenZhou
Occasional Contributor II

Have you tried by adding the max number of instances of the map service (feature service)?

0 Kudos