"Failure to access the DBMS server" with feature service

01-13-2016 12:27 AM
RomanChueh
New Contributor III

On one server I have ArcSDE running in SQL Server 2012 (SP2), and another server I have ArcGIS 10.3.1 Server hosting a feature service that access the ArcSDE database.   The feature service runs fine until I see the following error message in the ArcGIS Server log:

Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [08S01:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

And then the following error message on every feature service request:

Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure]

It seems database connection was temporary disconnected, and  the only solution is to restart the service manually. 

My question is:  Why wouldn't the Feature Service reconnect with ArcSDE?  Is there anyway around this beside restart the service manually?

Thanks,

Roman

23 Replies
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

You need Enterprise ArcGIS Server subscription to see those specific downloads.

Rebecca beat me to it... these are Microsoft Products anyways.  (they are NOT ESRI specific) and one would get them from MSDN.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

Hello!

Your question:

Why wouldn't the Feature Service reconnect with ArcSDE? The service would/should when the default time of 30 minutes is reached for that MappingService (FeatureAccess as well in this case) - as long as the database is reachable of course.

Is there anyway around this beside restart the service manually? In ArcGIS Server Manager or Catalog (as an admin .ags connection) you can adjust the check repair data connection instances to which ever time you'd like.

ArcGIS Service >> Processes >>

11.png

RomanChueh
New Contributor III

I have the option of "Periodically check and repair data connection for idle instances" checked, and I changed the time to 2 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

I am still having the same problem.  I believe it's because the service never go to Idle when my application is running.  The application consumes the Web Map that refresh the feature service every 30 seconds.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

You have a deeper underlying issue then.  IT Network driven issue or perhaps configuration issues. If you are saying there is constant connection without issue, then random communication link failure.. it start to look at performance matrix on the SQL machine and network between ArcGIS Server and the SQL database.

RomanChueh
New Contributor III

Thank you for the advises, Michael.

I will looking info the network and SQL configuration. This problem seems to present itself when the database server or ArcGIS server is under heavy load.  For example, backing up of the Geodatabase or copying large file between servers. 

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

There of course, many possibles at this point.  But it doesn't sound ArcGIS Server specific.  Could be Volume Snaps VM ?  Could be like you say.. the hardware limitations are taking out the connections.

I'd be curious to what you discover.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

Do you have access to the sde database through SQL management studio installed on your computer?  If you are not able to log into the database through SQL management studio, then there is probably an issue with the server access to the sql db.

0 Kudos
RomanChueh
New Contributor III

I don't have SQL Management Studio install on the ArcGIS server, so I was able to test the database connection using it.  However, from ArcGIS Server Manager, I was able to validate the registered database in the data store while the error is happening.  

0 Kudos
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Hi Roman,

I met with the same problem too. ApplyEdits for a feature service fails randomly and the Server logs wrote when it fails:

"Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]Communication link failure] [sde.DEFAULT]."

Did you find the solution eventually?

Thanks,

Shuhong

0 Kudos
RomanChueh
New Contributor III

Hi Shuhong,

No, I have not.  I setup a python to monitor the ArcGIS server log, and notify me when these error occurs. Then, I restart the map service.  

0 Kudos