PublishingToolsEx?

08-07-2018 12:17 PM
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor III

We have a big physical server running ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1

Having issues publishing.  As part of trouble-shooting, I noticed there's an additional publishing service called PublishingToolsEx - I swear I don't think this has been on this installation of ArcServer for very long, and I don't know where it came from or what it is.  It also won't start.

Is this similar to when a service fails to publish and you end up with stopped service 'OriginalServiceName<date-time>'?

I'm confused.  

Thanks

Allen

4 Replies
ZahinaKhan
New Contributor III

Hello Allen,

Do you see PublishingToolsEX in your ArcGIS Server 10.4.1 version?  Prior versions use the same service with a different name. For example, the PublishingTools system service is referred to as PublishingToolsEx in 10.5 and above. 

What is the error message you get when you try to start the PublishingToolsEX from the admin end point? 

Can you make sure your ArcGIS Server Service account has full permission on "arcgisserver", "ArcGIS\Server" and "Python27" folders ? 

Also make sure you have the GP service startup patch installed on the Windows Server machine: ArcGIS Server Geoprocessing Service Startup Patch 

Here is another Esri article that you might find useful:

Problem: Publishing a feature service to ArcGIS Server fails after ArcGIS Server is upgraded 

DylanKennard
New Contributor III

I had this issue on 10.7.1 after moving the configuration store, etc from C drive to a mounted drive. 

PublishingToolsEx does not show up in ArcServer Manager (maybe on purpose).

Going to the:

{arcserverurl}/arcgis/admin/services/System/PublishingToolsEx.GPServer and starting it manually did the trick.

A side note: This issue was there for months and we could publish fine. I found the error when adding a "Database connection" to the data store. It just hung for a few minutes. I went to the log file and saw this: Unable to process request. Service System/PublishingToolsEx/GPServer not started

So I would be curious of what uses the PublishingTools vs PublishingToolsEx. They both are needed and present at 10.7.1 by the looks of it.

0 Kudos
MichaelLeber
New Contributor

Hello Dylan, I have a similar situation here where we moved the configuration store etc to a mounted drive, and I am having issues with publishing services. I was wondering if you had any other info on permissions etc that you had to make to have this scenario work?

thanks
Mike

0 Kudos
DylanKennard
New Contributor III

Michael - sorry for delay I hope you solved this. Permission wise nothing special. We due use a Windows AD Service account method to run the ArcGIS for Server Service. I would start there and use the "Configure ArcGIS Sever Account" to re-apply permissions after the move you made from C: to Mounted. It wiggles any permission issue loose from my experience.

0 Kudos