Publishing Services from direct connection to SQL Server 2014

09-08-2016 11:07 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have data loaded into a SQL Server 2014. I have validated the connection to the data source in ArcGIS Server 10.4.1.

I can add geographic data to an ArcMap Client and publish to Server.

When trying to view the data from the rest service page the geometry is not displayed and I receive the following error in the Server logs.

There is an error during the draw WISE_Decade_CBAS.DBO.deleteme (1.) DBMS table not found[42S02:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'WISE_Decade_CBAS,(2.) WISLEG\SA-DEV-ARCGIS,(3.) deleteme',(4.) ].

We do not seem to have this same problem in our 10.3.1 environment. I do see the geometry in ArcMap!

I am also not seeing the same behavior in our SDE based environment.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tony,

I would guess that this is caused by some sort of permissions issue with the ArcGIS Server Account.  Does the ArcGIS Server Account have read privileges to the data in your enterprise geodatabase?

I'm assuming data from a File Geodatabase publishes correctly, and you can view the data?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

yes, triple checked permissions with DB admin. This is what he sees when the account connects.

"Login succeeded for user 'WISLEG\sa-dev-arcgis'. Connection made using Windows authentication."

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Does the WISLEG\sa-dev-arcgis user also have privileges to the data?  For example, did you right-click on the feature class > Privileges and grant read access to this user?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In Catalog?...does this need to happen? We have never done this before and we were able to publish without any issue.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you are making a connection to your enterprise geodatabase using a Windows Authentication user, then the ArcGIS Server Account will need read privileges to the data to publish successfully.  If you are connecting using Database Authentication, then the user will not.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

yes, checked this as well with the db admin. the account has read access to the whole database...rrrrrrrrrrrrr

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Are you able to validate database connection from server side using same connection from ArcGIS server manager,

Please check like below

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes. We can do this!

We found the only way to publish is to run ArcMap as the service account (wisleg\sa-dev-arcgis) and publish. This is our development environment so permissions are not an issue, my operator and user account are db admins. This is just strange.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is your ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1 environment using the same SQL Server instance or a different, newer SQL Server instance?  Also, have you installed the ArcGIS for Server Publishing Patch?  On the surface, the patch doesn't seem directly related to your issue, but installing the patch does improve publishing performance overall with 10.4/10.4.1.