Publishing a feature service from Fabric for ArcMap users to connect to

02-25-2022 09:24 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have a Parcel Fabric (Version 3, 10.8.1 GDB, 2.6.8 Pro) in place with a production team of 3 ramping up to make edits and finalize their workflow for posting to Default.

We also have a Python sync script tested and ready to be scheduled that will be refreshing our legacy parcels from the fabric.

In our discussions about our production custom add-ins the question came up about whether we could publish a read only version of the fabric to enterprise and have arcmap consume that feature service instead of referencing the legacy SDE feature class.  I don't know enough about the technical details to be able to adequately identify a process to put that in place and/or to discuss the potential hurdles.

Can someone recommend a workflow to publish a read only feature service from the Fabric that can be referenced in ArcMap?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is the Fabric published as Branch Versioned?

If so, then ArcMap would not be able to connect and access that feature service. You could create a web map with the layers and only have read access to them, as an idea.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes. the fabric is branch versioned. Thank you for the suggestion on the webmap. We'll consider that. 

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

@Anonymous User I suggest you publish an additional service that uses your parcel fabric as the source data.  Assuming you are publishing the service from ArcMap you only need to enable the capability for "Mapping":

service_editor.png

I beleive the above image shows the default capabilities.  There is no harm in leaving the KML capability enabled.  Without the "Feature Access" capability there is no possibility of editing the data.

Good luck,

Bernie.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Bernie, I was planning to publish the service to our enterprise and then was planning on connecting to the service from ArcMap. Is that a logical workflow?

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, that is right.  We do it 5 days a week with our parcel data.  We connect to the service from ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, and multiple web apps published via ArcGIS Online:

https://geonb.snb.ca/arcgis/rest/services/GeoNB_SNB_Parcels/MapServer

However, I should add that our Land Registry Office only provides us with a simple polygon feature class exported from the parcel fabric.  We use the polygon feature class as the source for our parcel map service.  You could build this into your process and update the polygon feature class from your parcel fabric with an automated process.

Bernie.