Projection issue with arcgis server 10.3

09-01-2016 06:46 AM
ChristopherKyle
New Contributor II

We upgraded arcgis server from 10.1 to 10.3.1.  We have a web service that is published in UTM NAD83 Zone 17N (26917) and we are using submitted xy coordinates in WGS_1984 (4326) to determine if these points fall within a polygon area of a feature class.  Prior to the upgrade points 147 points fell outside of the polygon.  Now after the upgrade these points are said to fall within the polygon.  Adding the service to an arcgis desktop map giving it the data frame properties the coordinate system of the UTM and adding the point using xy the point falls outside of the polygon.  When changing the coordinate system of the data frame to the Geographic Coordinate system the service shifts and the point falls within the polygon.  We are error checking this points using the query of the service in the rest interface and it says that the point falls in the polygon, this did not happen before using 10.1, as it was saying the points were out of the polygon.  Does anyone know of a change in the server to cause this problem?  I am aware there can be a +/- 1 meter shift in transforming a NAD 1983 to WGS 1984 datums, just don't understand why it didn't do it before till now.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

It sounds like there's not geographic (datum) transformation set in the map, either when you check it now, nor when the service was created. Around 10.3, we started adding a file called gtdefaults.json to ArcGIS Server. If there's no transformation set, it will look for one in the file. Look in the pedata folder of the Server install. (or in Desktop's install).

ArcMap doesn't use the file, even though it's available. Pro does.

The line in the file is:

[   4269,   4326, 108190,    1,      0,    0 ],

which translates into NAD83, WGS84, WGS_1984_(ITRF00)_To_NAD_1983, "apply in opposite direction"

If you want to change this or just test it, edit the file, and replace 108190 with a zero. You may need to restart the service to pick up the change.

Melita

ChristopherKyle
New Contributor II

Melita,

Thank you very much!  That is definitely the problem.  I see where the issue was coming from now and can provide an explanation for the change now.

Thanks,
Chris

0 Kudos
ChristopherKyle
New Contributor II

Melita,

I forgot to ask, is there any documentation out there about adding this file to ArcGIS Server and ArcPro?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

From my understanding if you are upgrading only ArcGIS server, this error will not occur,

If you are trying to publish map services again, then it depends upon your ArcMap coordinates (human Error).

Please share more info... to check and analyze to your issue