Problem Installing ArcGIS Enterprise on Linux (CentOS 7)

12-26-2019 09:32 PM
IndranilMondal
New Contributor II

Hello friends,

I am having a real hard time deploying ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 on Linux (CentOS 7). The online help article and installation guides I feel are very disjunct. Earlier I have deployed ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 on Windows 10 Pro, which was a 1000 times easier. I must also mention that I am new to the Linux environment.

After reading all the material available, I have done all the pre-requisite configurations. I have installed Apache 2.4.6 (CentOS), Tomcat 7.0.76, Server 10.6.1, and Portal 10.6.1. I face the main problem while installing the Web Adaptor Java Linux 10.6.1. Various installation guides asks to install separate Web-adaptor with different names (portal and server), but unlike the windows Web-adaptor IIS setup the linux Web-adaptor Java setup doesn't ask to name your adapter.

After installing the java linux web-adaptor, I deployed the arcgis.WAR file from my Tomcat Web Application Manager (deployed WAR file.png), opened the Web-adaptor by clicking on the link from the list of Applications (opened the web adaptor.png) in Tomcat and configured the Web-adaptor for Server. I should now configure it for Portal, right? When I would try it before I configured it for Server, it wouldn't let me, saying that I need to host a website from my web server's port 80 first (which I believe I already had). Now when I click the "arcgis" web adapter link in the Tomcat App Manager, after having configured for server, it takes me to the ArcGIS REST Services Directory.

I am a loss. I am unable to figure out how to install web-adaptor separately for server and portal in linux.

We really need a step-by-step guide (PDF) with pictures at least for a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise on Linux.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You will need to deploy the war file a second time with the portal name to deploy the second web adaptor. I.E.

first you ran.

cp /data/arcgis/webadaptor10.6.1/java/arcgis.war /data/apache-tomcat-8.5.23/webapps/server.war

In addition you must run

cp /data/arcgis/webadaptor10.6.1/java/arcgis.war /data/apache-tomcat-8.5.23/webapps/portal.war

You must also then perform the configuration: configurewebadaptor.sh on the new portal web adaptor that this step deployed. 

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Another thing to keep in mind is that typically, ArcGIS Enterprise is accessed via standard ports, (80/443), even though the Web Adaptor supports non-standard ports starting at 10.6:

Use nondefault ports for the portal's ArcGIS Web Adaptor—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterpris... 

The assumption is that you'll set up a reverse proxy or load balancer to listen on 443 and send traffic to the web adaptor over your non-standard port, (8080):

Configure the portal with your organization's reverse proxy server or load balancer, so that users access the portal through the default ports. To do this, you need to provide some information to the portal about the reverse proxy or load balancer. For full instructions, see Use a reverse proxy server with Portal for ArcGIS.