Polygon sketch tool disabled when creating offline map areas

10-30-2020 02:06 AM
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

I think I probably already know the answer to this but thought it might be useful sharing and possibly getting an update to the ArcGIS Enterprise documentation. I'm using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 and want to create polygon (not rectangle) map areas for an offline map. My map meets the requirements for taking data offline but if I have a vector tile package as my basemap then the polygon sketch tool is disabled in the create offline areas interface.

If I switch the basemap to a raster tile package then the polygon sketch tool is enabled.

I've done a bit of a trawl through the documentation and can't find any reference to this.

Take web maps offline—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Step 7 just says

To draw a shape representing the map area, click one of the buttons on the Sketch toolbar.

• To draw a box around the area to take offline, click the Sketch rectangular map area button Draw rectangle and draw a box on the map.
  • To draw a polygon to define the area you need to take offline, click the Sketch polygon map area button Draw polygon and draw the polygon on the map.

The equivalent ArcGIS Online documentation has a specific note about this in step 7
Take web maps offline—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

To draw a shape representing the map area, click one of the buttons on the Sketch toolbar.

• To draw a box around the area to take offline, click the Sketch rectangular map area button Draw rectangle and draw a box on the map.
  • To draw a polygon to define the area you need to take offline, click the Sketch polygon map area button Draw polygon and draw the polygon on the map.

The map's basemap must be an ArcGIS Online hosted tile layer or a tile layer from an ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 or more recent release portal; otherwise, the Sketch polygon map area button will not be active.

So can we assume that the same restrictions apply when working in Enterprise and would it be possible to get the documentation updated to reflect this? Is there any timescale when polygon areas will be supported with vector basemaps? Does the restriction still apply if the package is created without a basemap and relies on a map on the user's device instead?

Regards

Gareth

PS I've just spotted this blog which I think confirms the restrictions, but still would be good to get in the docs.

Define polygon offline map areas for Collector 

0 Kudos
0 Replies