Overwriting mapservices and caching

09-19-2016 05:09 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am relatively new to the mapservice publication process, and have been having trouble trying to build caches within the 10.1 work environment. Recently, though, after a period where mapservices were being published but not producing any output I was able to generate tiles. My mapservices were supposedly being populated by cached tiles. Now the only problem I have is that mapservices started appearing with an expanded name, that included a date stamp (basically). What does this mean, since I have two mapservices created for my single MXD: one with, and one without date stamp. Must they exist? Can I delete the "copy", ie. the one with the date stamp, or will these "mapservices" disappear following tile creation. I haven't come across this type of explanation, and was curious.

Basically, I published a mapservice with the manual build originally, then I updated it with automatic build. The first published a map service, but did not create tiles. On the update, there was an indication that the mapservice had been updated and the tiles were being generated, but on looking into my mapservices a secondary "data-stamped" mapservice was created. Can anyone explain this? Is this normal? Am I missing something, or is this the normal tile creation process, and eventually the "date-stamped" mapservices will disappear?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

that is normal.  The time stamped service is due to checking overwrite a service with an Existing Cache, and cahcing automatically after publishing is enabled. It is to avoid disrupting the existing cache.

You would have to copy the cache from the timestamp service to the root service once complete.

I find it is much easier to make another service (call it acceptance) run with keep existing cache and manual, then use Catalog Cache Manager and initiate. create the cache...  then go into the production world , copy the original cache (if you need to archive it) Blow away in the main service and copy over your new cache.

I write .net to run this process in another separate service, then simply copy over the cache to the production service in one shot. 

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I do something similar, but after the new cache is created, I just stop the services and rename the folders as needed, then start the service back up.  I'm working on python tools to simplify this (almost done with a "refresh the fgdb" tool).  I'm currently in 10.2.2.

If I remember correctly, there were a few tricks to the 10.1 as far as getting it to update, but the process of stopping and replacing should work.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, there are other avenues of doing this as you mention. Leveraging the Server Admin toolkit for example:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=12dde73e0e784e47818162b4d41ee340 

Renaming works. or write your own py to rename.

This though requires stop/starting services, other methods may not require. Cache is cache. (as long as the content in the conf.xml / conf.cdi files match...aka scales)

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses. I will take these considerations to mind during my next upload/update.

0 Kudos