Oracle 12c Release 2 ArcGIS Connection Error

04-25-2017 02:54 AM
TomYeung3
New Contributor

Dear All,

I have the following testing environment:

Server: Win Server 2012 R2 data center x64, installed with Oracle Database 12c Release 2 x64

Client: Windows 7 x64, ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 and Oracle DB Administrator Client 12c Release 2 x32

When I tried to connect Oracle DB by SQL Developer in client machine, it is successful. (either by TNS or easy connection string)

However, when I tried to add a database connection in ArcGIS Desktop, it returns the following errors: (either by TNS or easy connection string)

Please help. I also tried ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1 and also failed.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you check Connect to Oracle from ArcGIS for Desktop?

For changing the Environment Path Variable, you could follow the steps in How do I set or change the PATH system variable?

Think Location
0 Kudos
TomYeung3
New Contributor

I set the path and my client machine only have the 32 bit client installed , so this should not be the problem 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since the 32 bit client gets installed in C:\Program Files (x86) folder of the machine, I doubt the parenthesis might be causing issue.

Could you replace C:\Program Files (x86) with C:\progra~2 in Environment path variable, and check again?

Think Location
0 Kudos
TomYeung3
New Contributor

My client and DB are installed in 2 different machines and under path d:/app/xxxx. Their paths do not contain any space.

The same setting I tried with DB 12 c release 1 and client 12c release 1 is working. 

The problem occur when I am trying release 2.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Tom,

you can check environment variable path using set command in CMD.

Path=C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;D:\Programs\Oracle64\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin;D:\Programs\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin;

check your entries.

you can also check connection setting using.

open CMD and run >>>sqlplus command

from this you can see client deatils

C:\Users\avinash>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 on Di Apr 25 13:09:09 2017

in your case its must be 12 C

if from CMD and sqlplus its possible then your client configuration correct else you need to check above values.

0 Kudos
TomYeung3
New Contributor

My path setting is correct.

I have also tried to install DB 12c release 1 and client 12 c release 1 and it has no problems for adding database connection in Arcmap.

The problem is come to me when I am trying release 2.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I will let others to give their views.

By the way, Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x suggests that the supported Oracle 12C release is Release 1, even for ArcGIS 10.5. It could be a compatibility issue also.

Think Location
0 Kudos