open attachment from filesystem

10-15-2020 04:51 AM
SebastianKlein
New Contributor II

I've got a feature layer with attachments (docx) hosted in a web app (arcgis portal 1.7).

I can open these attachments in a pop-up but i am forced to download them.

Is it possbile to open an attachment directly from filesystem in order to edit and save?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EduardoFernandez1
Esri Contributor

Hello Sebastian 

Through a web app - outside of the pop up window, it would be more so a customisation rather than anything available out of the box.

Instead of making the files available as attachments, you could use urls to the documents, hosted in the document management system or possibly a web server?  You would need to construct the url (either stored in an attribute in a field for each record\feature or in the pop up box ( as a custom attribute display).

An example of the url could be https://orgname.sharepoint.com/teams/myteam/Feature_Document.pdf

Don't forget to consider your organisation's network security and configuration and IT policies

Cheers Ed

SebastianKlein
New Contributor II

Thanks Ed,

so there is no easy way to open & edit word documents from a feature layer?

Hosting the documents on a web server is non problem but the user has to download - open - edit - "save as" on web server...

Is there possibly another way to attach/link a lot of text information to a feature with the ability to edit directly by user without showing this text directly in the pop up window?

regards Sebastian

0 Kudos
EduardoFernandez1
Esri Contributor

Hello Sebastian 

A smart developer out there may have created a customisation widget and made the code available that could make documents ediable in a window.

Another option is to store the text in a field of the feature layer and then you could get members (Creators or Editors) to edit the cell directly via the attribute table in a web app. A common user case for organisations is to create a 'manage data' web app with some draw and editing widgets enabled to allow users to modify existing features and attributes, create new or delete\retire existing features to either a hosted feature layer ( ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise) or referenced feature layer ( ArcGIS Enterprise only).

Ed