network location for ArcGIS server directory

Jump to solution
09-04-2018 05:02 AM
User35489
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to update arcgis server directories from local server drive to network location. It gives me below error. Kindly suggest

Failed to create the folder '\\192.168.0.1\GISRepository\ArcGISServer106\ArcGISServerDir'.

Environment:

ArcGIS Server 10.6 on Windows 2012 R2

Access to above folder is granted to everyone

I can add above location as 'connect folder' from ArcMap from server.

Thanks again

-AS

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Try giving the account explicit read/write access through the Share rather than relying on "Everyone". I rarely expect Server to be able to write to a directory because "Everyone" can write to it anymore and typically need to give the ArcGIS Server user explicit permissions.

View solution in original post

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

No. The user you log into the portal as is irrelevant. The account that matters is the 'ArcGIS Account', aka the runas account that is used to start the portal service. If you were to log into this machine as the runas account, can you write to this share?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Is ArcGIS Server running under a local account or a domain account?

0 Kudos
User35489

It's a domain account.

and, Network Storage is on different domain than ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Try giving the account explicit read/write access through the Share rather than relying on "Everyone". I rarely expect Server to be able to write to a directory because "Everyone" can write to it anymore and typically need to give the ArcGIS Server user explicit permissions.

User35489

still facing the issue, even after granting 'read/write/full-control' access.

any more suggestions please

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Run ProcMon on the Server and filter the path for the share you're trying to use. It may help you determine why it's failing:

Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs 

User35489

I found below info, mostly highlighting access denial. 

10:27.8javaw.exe19592CreateFile\\192.168.0.1\GISRepository\ArcGISServer106\ArcGISServerDirACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

I want to add below information

Users are managed by portal. I am logged in as admin using Portal named user not a domain user. Will this make difference in access grants ?

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

No. The user you log into the portal as is irrelevant. The account that matters is the 'ArcGIS Account', aka the runas account that is used to start the portal service. If you were to log into this machine as the runas account, can you write to this share?

User35489

Thank you so much, works fine now.

0 Kudos