Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple Map Services versus QueryTask

10-09-2014 05:20 AM
KylePittman1
New Contributor

We have a central table (stored in SDE within SQL Server) containing ~50,000 points. This should more or less be distributed through Server as 50 separate services containing 1,000 points each. We have a web front end based on the JavaScript API that we use to access the services. There seem to be 3 basic ways to do this:

1. 50 Separate Services: Add a query layer to ArcMap selecting the 1,000 points for Service A and then publishing that layer as a stand-alone service. Then repeat for the other 49 layers, each published as a stand-alone service.
  2. 1 Service with 50 Layers: Create a single service with 50 unique query layers each accessing their 1,000 points and then using the API to access the individual layers of the single service as needed.
  3. 1 Service with 1 Layer: Create a single service with 1 query layer accessing the entire original table and then using QueryTasks within the API to separate the data at that point.

Acknowledging that every implementation is unique, are there any rules of thumb as to performance, resource allocation, etc. that would make any one method better than the others?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeFlannery
Regular Contributor II

Kyle:

I don't get it.  Are you limited to serving only 1,000 points per service or per layer within a service?

0 Kudos
KylePittman1
New Contributor

Joe--

Sorry, no. Basically we have a lot of similar data that pertains to many different clients in many different markets. So I want to serve up Client 1 in Market A as one service, Client 1 in Market B as a second service, etc. So ultimately I need to break the larger dataset into pieces for the end user, I am just trying to make sure we use the most efficient way to do that.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Regular Contributor II

Kyle:

I'm not a Javascript guy, but publishing your table in one service and then using Javascript API code in each client web map to query only the data from the table you want to display.  One service would be easy on your ArcGIS Server and easy to maintain.  See link, below.

Layer definitions on a dynamic map service | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

0 Kudos
KylePittman1
New Contributor

Thank you! My hunch was it was better to break it apart dynamically rather than have 50 separate services spooled up and the link was very helpful. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos