Select to view content in your preferred language

Moving the Cache directory to another server, pros/cons?

Jump to solution
01-27-2016 11:26 AM
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

Hey guys kind of a general ArcServer question,

We are in the very beginning stages of implementing an Enterprise GIS and are configuring our ArcServer. We have a single machine setup, with other additional servers that are accessible through shared network locations. ArcServer and its default directories (cache,jobs,output,systems) are located all on the same machine that the ArcServer was built. A recent project involved the making of a very large mosaic'd raster file. The problem we have run into is that where the cache folder is located currently, there is not enough space on the server to house the new file.

Would it be wiser to move the ArcGIS server cache to another server, granting appropriate SOC and SOM permissions, or to just expand the space on the server that the cache is presently on.

We are trying to think long term, and maybe making space would be an easier fix presently, would it be more wise to move the directories to other servers?

What are some pros and cons?

Any advice would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

Our fix was very simple, when it came to designating file path and publisher path, our IT department denotes folders with a $ symbol before the actual name. Which I had no idea. When I changed the publisher path the path of the cache folder, and specified the correct path name with the $ included, it worked. The drive was registered with our data store, so that was the file path. And the publisher path just specified to look at a specific folder within said drive. Hope this was more helpful than confusing. I can show screen shots of our set-up if that would help.

0 Kudos