Moving the Cache directory to another server, pros/cons?

Jump to solution
01-27-2016 11:26 AM
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

Hey guys kind of a general ArcServer question,

We are in the very beginning stages of implementing an Enterprise GIS and are configuring our ArcServer. We have a single machine setup, with other additional servers that are accessible through shared network locations. ArcServer and its default directories (cache,jobs,output,systems) are located all on the same machine that the ArcServer was built. A recent project involved the making of a very large mosaic'd raster file. The problem we have run into is that where the cache folder is located currently, there is not enough space on the server to house the new file.

Would it be wiser to move the ArcGIS server cache to another server, granting appropriate SOC and SOM permissions, or to just expand the space on the server that the cache is presently on.

We are trying to think long term, and maybe making space would be an easier fix presently, would it be more wise to move the directories to other servers?

What are some pros and cons?

Any advice would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Nick,

Either solution you have mentioned is possible and it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Are you also aware that you can have as many cache directories as you want so you could leave the existing cache where it is and for new caches place them on another server.

You can add a new cache directory in ArcServer manager, when you have more than one directory set up you have to choose which one to publish to when creating a new service.

regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Nick,

Either solution you have mentioned is possible and it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Are you also aware that you can have as many cache directories as you want so you could leave the existing cache where it is and for new caches place them on another server.

You can add a new cache directory in ArcServer manager, when you have more than one directory set up you have to choose which one to publish to when creating a new service.

regards

Anthony

NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

Awesome, thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

Have you done this? I'm trying to find documentation or more information online to outline the process. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nick, you may want to take a look at this thread from this morning. 

Newbie Question

in particular, the Jake's response

You can easily change the server directories using ArcGIS Server Manager:

Editing a server directory in Manager—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

However, if you are looking to change the entire installation, I believe you will have to perform an uninstall/reinstall.  I would recommend looking into backing up and restoring your ArcGIS Server Site Configuration:

Back up and restore your ArcGIS Server site configuration—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS f...

As for moving a Cache....you can just copy the folders/data from the arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache from the old to the new location you point to.   Restart the server/services of course, and it will typically be happy.

NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

This has actually been really helpful, in particular seeing your server site. That was pretty much exactly what I needed to see.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad it helped. Funny how similar questions seem to come in waves.  I may ask the other poster to change the question title (if it's possible)....not one that you would think to look for your question.....but it was fresh in my mind.

Edit: Timothy Hales was able to change the title for the other thread....it auto-updated in my other comment.  Yea.

0 Kudos
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

I agree! Did not expect the thread to be about that.

0 Kudos
AdamVellutini
New Contributor III

I have been able to set up a different cache directory on the same machine, just using a different drive, but have ben unsuccessful at adding one to another server on our network.  I was able to add the other server to the Data Store, but I keep getting an error saying that it cannot access the folder location I set up for my cache directory.  I think it wants "write" permission to that folder.

Do you know what type of permissions I need to set up on the cache directory on the other server?  I feel like I'm close, but not quite there.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Adam,

I would be inclined to give your arcgis server service account full permissions to the directory, it will most certainly need to read and write

Regards

Anthony