Migrate Oracle to SQL server database that is registered with datastore

02-06-2024 03:45 AM
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Hi folk, I want to think with you the possibility for migrating from Oracle gdb that's registered on ArcGIS Datastore to SQL server gdb, is there some issue that may i face such as field data types, versioning, etc. in addition to if there some apps that depends on exiting Oracle gdb what should I do especially if there some apps using a specific child versions.

2 Replies
sitdigital
New Contributor II
All the apps based on ESRI JS APIs shall not be impacted. All the apps connecting directly to the database may impact.

Best way to migrate is to export Oracle to ESRI GDB and then GDB to SQL

Best Regards

Rabia
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@DasheEbra 

If you are using ArcGIS Server, then you will need to republish all the ArcGIS Server Services.

You will need to reload the data, there is no other way to migrate the data.

After the migration you will need to change the data source and adjust all your map documents.

You will need to reconcile and post all versions child of the sde default in the Oracle Geodatabase, then execute a sde compress, next delete the child versions and perform the sde compress one last time, then gather new statistics and rebuild indexes and gather statistics one last time.

Then export the Oracle Geodatabase schema to an XML document, schema only, no data.

And import the empty schema in the SQL Server Geodatabase.

Then use ArcGIS Pro Append Data Tool or any other method that you want to reload the data.

e.g. Model Builder, ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension, ArcPy Python Script, FME Workbench.

This is a simplified version of the actual data migration that will take place, depending on your data model, etc. this can be a little more complicated than that.

If you need assistance with the migration reach out to Esri Professional Services.

I hope this helps.

For more best practices.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Databases Best Practices

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov