Map cache stops generating at around ~95%-98% complete

497
9
Jump to solution
06-01-2017 06:44 AM
EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

I am building a map cache from some property parcels that we maintain, and when I am trying to cache them, the process stops just before it's finished. 

I have tried restarting the process, I have tried to recreate empty tiles, I have deleted it and started from scratch, but nothing seems to let me actually finish creating the cache.

Does anyone know what the problem may be? The Job Status pane shows that it is completed without any errors, but I have missing tiles in my map cache. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to select the parcel polygons that have changed the past day (or week which is how my organization does this)?  If you can select the parcels that have changed (Date Field in your parcel feature class), you can create a polygon from the individual polygons and use this as the only area where the cache needs to be updated (Area of Interest parameter I believe).  This can be done with python scripting and would dramatically decrease the amount of time to update the cache and possibly solve your incomplete cache creation problem as you are no longer rebuilding the entire cache after the mapservice has been initially cached.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

Are you using exploded or bundled cache?

0 Kudos
EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

We are using ArcGIS Server 10.5, and we are using a COMPACT cache.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you already successfully cached this mapservice at an earlier version of AGS?

Have you been able to successfully cache any other mapservices at 10.5?

0 Kudos
EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I have successfully cached this map service on earlier versions of AGS, as well as cached other map services on 10.5.

It gets updated about once a month, so I have been overwriting the same service and cache, so all the maps are updated properly with the new parcel data. I had some problems on earlier versions (sometimes it would stop before it was done, other times it successfully finished), and the same problem came over to 10.5.

About half the time it will finish, and the other half it stops at ~95%-98%.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you completely re-doing the cache?  Or do you only re-cache areas where you know the parcel polygon geometry has changed?

0 Kudos
EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

Redoing the whole cache. I just run it at the end of the day, and let it process overnight.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to select the parcel polygons that have changed the past day (or week which is how my organization does this)?  If you can select the parcels that have changed (Date Field in your parcel feature class), you can create a polygon from the individual polygons and use this as the only area where the cache needs to be updated (Area of Interest parameter I believe).  This can be done with python scripting and would dramatically decrease the amount of time to update the cache and possibly solve your incomplete cache creation problem as you are no longer rebuilding the entire cache after the mapservice has been initially cached.

EricHeinrichs
Occasional Contributor

I updated them again, and just used a polygon to specify the extent in which I made my changes, and everything is working fine now. It looks like some hiccup happened, but now I will just update whichever areas I actually edited, instead of rebuilding the entire cache. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Frequent Contributor

The status.gdb should give you an indication of which areas were not fully generated, so you can focus on either using an AOI as mvolz47‌ mentioned or determining if there's a different problem in that area.  You can also just zoom into the area in the Javascript API or another client application to see if tiles are actually missing.