Joining an ArcGIS Server to existing site failed

04-29-2020 08:47 AM
CraigAJohnson
New Contributor II

This is my second question/discussion about ArcGIS Enterprise, the first involved licensing issues which was insane but got past it by almost performing a complete machine wipe.  I've cut and paste all the pertinent information from my first post.

I have two virtual servers (Windows Server 2016): (these virtual servers reside at another agency so a refresh can be done but is very difficult because of red tape)

• ER-MARISS1
  • ER-MARISS2

I followed ESRI's web help page (Configure a multiple-machine deployment) to setup my multiple machine servers.

I shared a directory on ER-MARISS1 (E:\ArcGISserver) which contains the config-store and directories called:

\\ER-MARISS1\ArcGISserver

I mounted this directory on both machines. (Yes, I even mounted it to the machine where the directory exists)

Both machines have ArcGISserver (\\ER-MARISS1) (Z:) in their Network Locations.

I installed ArcGIS Server software (ArcGIS_Server_Windows_1071_169677.exe) onto ER-MARISS1.
I authorized it with the Software Authorization Wizard using the following license file:

EducationSiteArcGISServerEnterprise_ArcGISServer_889234.prvc

I created a new site on ER-MARISS1 pointing to the \\ER-MARISS1\ArcGISserver directory.

I then installed ArcGIS Server software using the same install file onto ER-MARISS2 and authorized it with the Software Authorization Wizard using the same license file.

Using the ArcGIS Server Setup Wizard on ER-MARISS2, I'm trying to join to the ArcGIS Server on ER-MARISS1 using the Join Existing Site option.

The Specify Site URL window opened and I entered the following information.

ArcGIS Server site URL: https:\\ER-MARISS1:6443 (it said to use the machine name)

I supplied the administrator username and password for the ArcGIS Server site, which is the same on both machines.

A popup window opens displaying the following information:

Configuration Summary
Your ArcGIS Server installation is ready to be completed.
Click Finish to join the site https://ER-MARISS1:6443

I clicked Finish and receive the following error:

Failed to join the site 'https://ER-MARISS1:6443/arcgis/admin/'. Server machine 'https://ER-MARISS1:6443/arcgis/admin//machines/register' returned an error. 'Admin URL 'https://MARIS-S2.GIS.MS.GOV:6443/arcgis/admin' is not reachable from 'MARIS-S1.GIS.MS.GOV'. For more information, see the ArcGIS Server help topic "About adding a GIS server to a site". You can access this topic in the table of contents by navigating to Administering ArcGIS Server > Common administrative tasks > Adding a GIS Server to a site.'

I can ping both servers from one another and they do see each other.
I have a couple of questions: (I know I'm asking a lot)
  1. Should I create a site on each machine and then add ER-MARISS2 to ER-MARISS1 using ER-MARISS1's Manager software?
  2. Should I NOT create a new site on ER-MARISS2 and just choose the Join Existing Site option? If so, how do I overcome the above error?
  3. I noticed that the server directories (config-store, directories) located on ER-MARISS1 share to the arcgis user on ER-MARISS1 but there is nothing about the user on ER-MARISS2.  Is this a problem?
  4. Is there anything with the both systems I should be on the lookout for, especially IIS?
  5. In the past, After updating ArcGIS Server software, I've had ER-MARISS2 suddenly give me an "Unable to Connect" to both localhost and the URL when starting Manager, is there something I need to change?
  6. Why does the ArcGIS Patch Notification software only install one patch at a time even though all the patches have a checkmark? The software disappears after only install one patch and I have to restart the software and do each patch individually.
  7. What ESRI classes (online or classroom) should I take to make me an expert, below are things I would like to know?
    1. System config (Windows Server, IIS) for ArcGIS Enterprise
    2. ArcGIS Enterprise software installation
    3. ArcGIS Enterprise administration (Portal, Server, and Datastore)
    4. Data input (Raster and Vector)
    5. Portal Webpage development
    6. and any other that would be important

My personal opinion and rant:

Thankfully this isn't a production site because I've installed (and uninstalled) this software many, many times in various configurations (Portal, Datastore, just server, etc...). I've used the individual software executables and also used the Builder program and it seems that there is always a problem.  I can only do what the software lets me do. At one point I thought I had Portal working (creating a Portal website, etc...) and I performed a simple Windows Server update and it killed the software, nothing worked. I've been using ESRI products for 30 years and have never seen this many problems.  I think I prefer writing AMLs with old ArcInfo on a UNIX workstation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

Craig,

Thanks this is a good question that I am sure others may have experienced this issue.

Lets take a look at the questions asked that I can answer for you:

Joining an ArcGIS Server to existing site failed | GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community

1. Should I create a site on each machine and then add ER-MARISS2 to ER-MARISS1 using ER-MARISS1's Manager software? You will want to create the initial site on the machine that you initially have configured the site for. I believe that was ER-MARISS1. Do not create another site on the other machine
  2. Should I NOT create a new site on ER-MARISS2 and just choose the Join Existing Site option? If so, how do I overcome the above error? No at this time we will want to join existing site 
  3. I noticed that the server directories (config-store, directories) located on ER-MARISS1 share to the arcgis user on ER-MARISS1 but there is nothing about the user on ER-MARISS2.  Is this a problem?You will want to have the same account running the Windows service for ArcGIS Server on both machines, this can be a domain service account and can also be a local account on each machine as long as the username and password are the same. I suspect this may be why we cannot join the second machine to the newly created site.
  4. Is there anything with the both systems I should be on the lookout for, especially IIS? As far as IIS is concerned, the only time we visit this is to register a web adaptor with the ArcGIS Server site itself, the web adaptor responds to the site itself and not the individual machines
  5. In the past, After updating ArcGIS Server software, I've had ER-MARISS2 suddenly give me an "Unable to Connect" to both localhost and the URL when starting Manager, is there something I need to change? Not sure why we may see this error other than maybe the system was rebooting/restarting the ArcGIS Server service?

Please let me know if this helps you out.

Dennis

0 Kudos
CraigAJohnson
New Contributor II

Dennis,

Thanks for the quick response and answering my questions.  

I do have local accounts (arcgis) set on both machines with the same password.

Also, for Question 5 about the Unable to Connect, this happened after I patched ArcGIS with their built in update software.  Before I patched, I was able to get to manager (with the Create Site/Join existing site) but then I forgot that I had patched the software on ER-MARISS1 so I closed the browser and patched the software on ER-MARISS2.  After that I couldn't connect.  Confusing.  I researched it for about 2 days before deciding to just reinstall.

One last note, when all this started I thought that maybe I needed Web Adaptor installed on ER-MARISS1 which I did, should I uninstall it or does it matter?

I just received your reply about the keycodes files.  I checked and there is only one keycode file in that directory.  I ran into that problem about two weeks ago and resolved that issue.  I was trying to remember what I did but had forgotten, thanks for reminding me.

That brings up a question, should I remove that keycode file and reauthorize the software?  Maybe on both servers?

Thanks,

Craig

0 Kudos
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

Craig,

Good day. I cannot recall if I addressed this question but here it is. You do have the option of removing the keycodes file and then re-authorizing the system. 

0 Kudos
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

Craig,

Did you ever resolve this?  I'm having the same issue.  WinServer 2019 w/ArcGIS Server 10.8.1.  The second server won't join the existing site and getting the "..../arcgis/admin' is not accessible" error

0 Kudos
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

I'm responding to myself in case anyone else has the same issue. I resolved the problem by turning off the firewall within my private network.  I imagine I can get it to work by configuring the firewall to allow the connection, but for now I'm going with shutting it down.  I'll report back if I go that route

0 Kudos
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

Good day Eric. I see that you had to turn off your firewall in order for this connection to be able to complete. Another option that you can look at is to allow the ports used by the ArcGIS Server to communicate with each other to be opened as found here:

Ports used by ArcGIS Server—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

I hope this helps and if not please let me know and we can see how elseI may assist with this.

0 Kudos
CraigAJohnson
New Contributor II

Eric,

I'm sorry but I'm just now seeing your post.  I had surgery in August so everything work related was put on hold.  I was never able to join the two machines together but I had another post and somebody wrote the following:

Craig touch on it where the first machine was set up using Enterprise Builder. The ArcServer on Machine one is a Hosted Server for the Data Store. You can not Join Machine 2 Arc Server to Machine 1 Arc Server because it is already a hosted server. The Arc Server on Machine 2 is an Image Server. You would not Join to an existing site but create a new one on machine 2. With that said you probably want to federate the machine 2 server to the Portal you have on machine 1. Once the Machine 2 server is all set up and working that is when you will federate the server to make it a part of the Portal.

I am currently installing Enterprise on just one machine for now and my little organization will go with that for now.

0 Kudos