Jave Heap Space Error

08-16-2012 07:41 AM
LorneDmitruk
New Contributor III
I've been running into the following problem with a map service. The service works file when accessed through ArcMap, ArcCatalog and the services directory. However when I use the service in a Flex application built with the Flex Viewer The service does not draw and registers a failure in the log files. The following is what's recorded in the log file:

SEVERE Aug 16, 2012 9:26:42 AM Internal Server Error. Error handling service request: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space Rest
SEVERE Aug 16, 2012 9:26:42 AM Instance of service 'UpTimeData.MapServer' failed to process a request.  Server

I'm running on Windows 2003 R2 8 core with 8 GB of ram (I know this should be at least 16 GB). I've tried with the data for service from both an Enterprise GDB and a file GDB with the same results.

Any hints or suggestions on how to deal with this issue.

Cheers!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PatriceFREYDIERE
New Contributor II
I've been running into the following problem with a map service. The service works file when accessed through ArcMap, ArcCatalog and the services directory. However when I use the service in a Flex application built with the Flex Viewer The service does not draw and registers a failure in the log files. The following is what's recorded in the log file:

SEVERE Aug 16, 2012 9:26:42 AM Internal Server Error. Error handling service request: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space Rest
SEVERE Aug 16, 2012 9:26:42 AM Instance of service 'UpTimeData.MapServer' failed to process a request.  Server

I'm running on Windows 2003 R2 8 core with 8 GB of ram (I know this should be at least 16 GB). I've tried with the data for service from both an Enterprise GDB and a file GDB with the same results.

Any hints or suggestions on how to deal with this issue.

Cheers!

Just a Question, have you tried to increase the following parameters in the machine-config.xml file (located in ArcGIS_HOME\framework\etc\machine-config.xml) ?

<WebServerMaxHeapSize>-1</WebServerMaxHeapSize>
  <AppServerMaxHeapSize>256</AppServerMaxHeapSize>
  <SocMaxHeapSize>700</SocMaxHeapSize>
  <WebServerMaxHeapSize>-1</WebServerMaxHeapSize>

Patrice
AamirSuleman
New Contributor II

Thank you. Increasing the SocMaxHeapSize has helped me.

0 Kudos
DavidCordes
New Contributor III
The handlers (REST, SOAP, OGC, Admin), the token service, and Manager application run in a single process.  That process is designed to not use more than 1/4 of the available RAM on the machine.  Since you have 8 GB of RAM, then that process won't use more than 2 GB of memory.  If it does then it will throw an error message since that is a very unusual situation.  We don't provide a means to increase the memory for that process.  The settings that Patrice suggested increase memory in the event that you have a Java-based SOE that consumes a large amount of memory but won't help here.

In this case, it's likely that the Flex app is making some call that is returning a huge amount of data (I am guessing 500 MB to 1 GB).  That may not be the desired behavior since just downloading that much data will take a while.  It's also possible there is a bug, but we ourselves haven't seen this error even under heavy load testing.  To really reach a diagnosis we will need you to open a Support incident and we will ask you to do some tests that will help us determine the root cause.

--- David
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

sorry to bring up an old post,

ON 10.2.2, my javaw process is hitting 1/4 of my machine memory (8gb of 32gb) and arcgis server goes out to lunch.  Only a manual restart of the arcgis server service brings it back.  When this happens, only 22gb of 32gb of ram are in use, so there is plenty of room.

Any guidance?

0 Kudos