It thinks my data source is not registered with the server. But it is! =( !

01-04-2017 08:18 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all. I've recently stood up a new ArcServer. I've posted a few test services that have gone well. I want to overwrite one, or even replace it, but I keep being told that:

!!!

I've registered it! I swear!

Why is this happening? How can I convince it I've really registered it?

Thanks in advance.

Joanna in Vermont

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joanna,

After you've registered the data store in ArcMap, can you login to ArcGIS Server Manager (as an admin) and check the status of the data store?

ArcGIS Server Manager > Site > Data Store. Do you see the new data store listed?

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Derek - Thanks. So, I just did that, and I see it and it validated. =/ !

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

maybe I need to nuke the service and post a new one. I'd just have to let the users know and I hate doing shit like that.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Why does the name of your registered database say [Managed]?  Did you include that part in your name or did AGS automatically add that to your datasource name?  I ask because none of the registered data sources that work for me have [Managed] in their name.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think it might be because it's a secure service?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I also do not use [managed], just registered, and we have secure services.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can see now it's not connected to the security. You're right. But I actually can't see where it is set as managed or not. Still looking.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Data Store connections can be a "Registered Database" of a "Registered Manager Database" ...the process is similar and you can import a connection file.  On this Data Store page, click on the Help button in the upper right to get more help (local install).

ArcGIS for Server (Windows) - Registering your data with ArcGIS Server using Manager

You can use Manager to register data directories and databases with ArcGIS Server. Data registration provides the server with a list of locations where the source data for your services originates. Data registration provides several benefits:

• Data registration helps you validate whether your services are using data locations known and approved by the server administrator.
  • Data registration provides automatic remapping of the paths to your data when you publish (and thereby upload) your map, globe, model, or other resources to the server.

Registering your data directories does not grant the ArcGIS Server account permissions to access your data. You'll need to give the ArcGIS Server account at least read permissions to any folder that you register. If you're registering a database, the type of permissions you need to grant depends on what type of database you are using and what type of authentication you are using to connect. See Making your data accessible to ArcGIS Server to learn more about the scenarios where you need to apply permissions.

emphasis added.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I figured it out from there. Thanks, Rebecca (and everyone!)

0 Kudos