Select to view content in your preferred language

Issues with Enterprise 11.1 After Upgrade

03-14-2024 08:14 AM
Clayton-Cooley
New Contributor III

We recently upgraded our Enterprise environment to 11.1. Since then, we've had performance issues of varying degrees. The most common issue is when a map/app is left open in the browser for 10 minutes or so, the map services will stop responding. Occasionally, it will log users out and ask them to sign back in. Generally, when you reload the page, everything will load. This seems to happen regardless if it's in the Map Viewer, Web App Builder, or Experience Builder. However, I do not have this issue in Dashboards or any of the mobile apps. I've configured the pooling settings for several map services that I thought were causing the issue, but that doesn't seem to have helped. 

I'm also receiving an error in our Server Logs that says the Portal server may be unreachable. I've attached screenshots of the errors.

I've started a case with Esri support but haven't had much luck yet. Their suggestion is to reinstall Web Adaptor and see if that does anything. Part of me wonders if doing a full reinstallation would be worth it. 

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

ServerLogError2.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you applied the reliability patch on the 11.1 Web Adaptor? 

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
Clayton-Cooley
New Contributor III

We have. After the initial installation, I noticed we were having issues, but everything started working much better after I installed the patch. Still not perfect, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

A lot of people stopped the IIS service. Then applied the patch.  Some files were locked by IIS and so were not updated.  Stopping IIs released those locks.  

I’ve done several 11.1 upgrades but not seen these performance issues.  I regularly see the log entry you showed. However it never seems to impact performance/reliability.  I had wondered if it related to unreported user observations, but across multiple clients no one is complaining about error at the time of those log entries.  It’s almost like a false positive.  

Scott Tansley
Clayton-Cooley
New Contributor III

If the patch is already installed, will reinstalling mess with anything? Do I need to reinstall Web Adaptor first?

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

No.  Just stop the iis and reapply. It will go over the other files with no wa reinstall needed.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
dolson_farmington
New Contributor III

I can attest that we had similar issues at our org. and installing the patch solved it. Lots of troubleshooting before figuring out what was wrong. 

Ultimately, we stopped the Windows services for the datastore, ArcGIS server, and portal then applied the ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) 11.1 Reliability Update 2. No issues since.