Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there a work-around for BUG-000149858 (join name and destination table name contain a percentage symbol after creating a join)?

01-11-2024 11:56 AM
AspenN
by
Regular Contributor

We are joining non-spatial tables in a PostgreSQL database to GIS feature classes (based on a common id). When the join occurs, a percentage sign (%) appears in the joined table name and field names. This causes weird behaviors in Pro (sometimes not allowing symbolizing based on joined fields) and doesn't work well when referencing the fields using the JS API. Is there a work-around for this issue? It seems like a pretty common workflow (joining a database table to a feature class) to be having such a serious issue, especially when the bug was first reported in 2014 (10 years ago). 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@AspenN 

here are two that I can think of. I'm afraid you might not like either of them :(. 

1. register your table to your geodatabase, or
  2. create a query layer where you join your fc to the table using SQL statement.
    • pls note, this requires both the feature class and table inside the same database. Cross workspace won't work

Here is the bug# BUG-000156380 that we have on our side to resolve this issue.

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

another option is to create a database view.
|
Views in an enterprise geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Example: Create database views in PostgreSQL using SQL—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

Create Database View (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

SQL and enterprise geodatabases—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
AspenN
by
Regular Contributor

For the query layer, do you have an example of an SQL statement to create the join?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Example: Create database views in PostgreSQL using SQL—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

Create a view to join two tables

In this example, the view—emp_regions_view—joins a spatial table (feature class) with a nonspatial table based on the emp_id column. The view includes the ObjectID, spatial column (region), and region name (rname) from the regions feature class along with the employee name and ID from the employees table.

CREATE VIEW emp_regions_view 
 AS SELECT (e.emp_name,e.emp_id,r.objectid,r.rname,r.region)
 FROM employees e, regions r
 WHERE e.emp_id = r.emp_id;
| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@AspenN 

here is an example:

SELECT fc.*, tbl.*
FROM myFC fc
INNER JOIN my_non_reg_table tbl
ON fc.joinFld = tbl.joinFld

0 Kudos
AspenN
by
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the examples @TanuHoque and @MarceloMarques . However, I am getting the error "Underlying DBMS error[ERROR: cross-database references are not implemented" when i try to use the code examples.  

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AspenN 
cross-database references are not implemented

read more in the link below on how to resolve this problem.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51784903/cross-database-references-are-not-implemented

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

urgh.... I wanted to mention that in my first comment and then I dropped (I just updated that comment) -- that the query layer approach requires both side presented in the same database.

thanks @MarceloMarques for providing the link to the stackoverflow discussion

0 Kudos
HeathClark
Occasional Contributor

@TanuHoque - As this issue has been outstanding for over 10 years... is there a definitive schedule to get this bug fixed?

0 Kudos