Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to apply a colormap to a WMS layer server-side

Jump to solution
05-10-2023 07:05 AM
ChrisThompson8
New Contributor

We have just recently got an ArcGIS Enterprise instance up and running and are still figuring out a lot of the basics!

We have ocean bathymetry data in GeoTIFF format from which we want to produce a WMS layer for hosting on ArcGIS Enterprise.

Our workflow is to produce a map using ArcGIS Pro and then publish a Web Layer with WMS enabled to our ArcGIS Enterprise instance.

Is it possible to apply a color map to the WMS images directly on the ArcGIS Server? Or do we need to create color-mapped images on ArcGIS Pro before publishing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

Chris,

I am not aware of any method to apply colour or styling to a map service after it is published.  The simplest solution is to style the bathymetry in ArcGIS Pro before you publish it. 

I have rarely consumed WMS services but I beleive it is possible for WMS users to apply their own style to your WMS services.  Here is some info on applying an SLD to a WMS service in ArcGIS Desktop.

Bernie.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

Chris,

I am not aware of any method to apply colour or styling to a map service after it is published.  The simplest solution is to style the bathymetry in ArcGIS Pro before you publish it. 

I have rarely consumed WMS services but I beleive it is possible for WMS users to apply their own style to your WMS services.  Here is some info on applying an SLD to a WMS service in ArcGIS Desktop.

Bernie.

George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

You may be able to apply a color map via raster function template (rft) on the image service as a WCS. I know that QGIS can access the rft in the service as WCS.

I would think that for WMS, as mentioned by @berniejconnors you would need to apply before publishing.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/raster-functions/raster-function-template.htm

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/apply-raster-function-templates-to-imagery-in-arc...

--- George T.