Is anyone else having ArcGIS Server 10.5 drawing errors with same feature class name in multiple schemas?

Jump to solution
02-13-2017 11:42 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

ArcGIS Server/Portal 10.5 (Including the ArcGIS Server 10.5 Service Publishing Patch)  has drawing errors with the same feature class name in multiple schemas.
For example: Production & Test schemas:
Production schema with feature class name ALPHA.CITY_LIMITS and one field name AGENCY_CODE
Test schema with feature class name BETA.CITY_LIMITS and two filed names
AGENCY_CODE
AGENCY_NAME
The mxd with BETA draws fine, attribute table contents look fine, symbol category draws fine and publishes without errors.
But, the published map service REST end point of the BETA schema feature class does not show the correct attributes. Instead it shows the attributes of the ALPHA schema feature class including its geometry column name of LAYER.

The BETA feature class uses the newer geometry filed name of SHAPE

The ArcGIS Server logs have errors about: Cannot find a field named AGENCY_NAME and references the ALPHA.CITY_LIMITS feature class

The map service added to a new empty webmap will not draw

Simply renaming the BETA schema feature class from CITY_LIMITS to CITY_LIMITSCOPY
and publishing works great, shows the correct fields names in the REST endpoint and draws fine in the webmap.

This acts like a BUG where ArcGIS Server scans the geodatabase alphabetically by schema name to find the correct feature class instead of scanning for the fully qualified feature class name.

It finds ALPHA.CITY_LIMITS before BETA.CITY_LIMITS

-Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Here's a couple references to BUGs  similar to what I'm seeing with ArcGIS Server 10.5 (without replication)

BUG-0000093897 --> Replicated data store displays incorrect data if the connection user has view access to multiple feature classes with the same name.

Logged with Oracle; but other cases documented for SQL Server.

BUG-000099007 (duplicate of 93897)--> When packaging a service definition, ArcGIS 10.4.1 Desktop mixes up feature classes with the same name from two different schema.  Documented for SQL 2012/2014

Both are marked as fixed in 10.5.1, which will be released in the next quarter.

It isn't a patch, but another install, like 10.3 and 10.3.1

I'm trying to get the fix released as a 10.5 patch to save time.

10.5.1tcraig-esristaff10.5.1‌

View solution in original post

10 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm thinking maybe the 10.5 release of ArcGIS Server was mistakenly coded to act like an ArcGIS Online subscription where I noticed in a recent ESRI MOOC two users are not allowed to name something the same (Organization-Wide).

Reading about ArcGIS Data Store 10.5, it seems like everything will get tossed into a single schema in the back-end.

Reading about Pro 1.4, it is currently not able to publish directly to an ArcGIS Server into its separate ArcGIS Server folders - It publishes directly to Portal for ArcGIS which then creates all map services in the root folder of ArcGIS Server. (Federated that is)

That would match the behavior of not allowing duplicate feature class names.
If this is correct and intended, it is a huge restriction to put on enterprise GIS/geodatabases.

A show stopper of sorts for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 at this time until workarounds and/or new supported ways of doing things are figured out.

If this is not a BUG with an immediate fix, it will force customers like us to completely change proven production workflows with ArcGIS Enterprise.

Hoping it is just a mistake somewhere on my part.

I'm working a case with ESRI support now.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Here's a couple references to BUGs  similar to what I'm seeing with ArcGIS Server 10.5 (without replication)

BUG-0000093897 --> Replicated data store displays incorrect data if the connection user has view access to multiple feature classes with the same name.

Logged with Oracle; but other cases documented for SQL Server.

BUG-000099007 (duplicate of 93897)--> When packaging a service definition, ArcGIS 10.4.1 Desktop mixes up feature classes with the same name from two different schema.  Documented for SQL 2012/2014

Both are marked as fixed in 10.5.1, which will be released in the next quarter.

It isn't a patch, but another install, like 10.3 and 10.3.1

I'm trying to get the fix released as a 10.5 patch to save time.

10.5.1tcraig-esristaff10.5.1‌

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

ArcGIS Idea created here:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/13144 

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

With some trial and error testing we created some additional geodatabase users and roles to focus on schema specific privileges.

This allows us to focus web publisher one on a certain schema, such as ALPHA, of feature classes and NOT see a feature class of the same name in schema BETA.

Web publisher two can only see the BETA owned feature classes.

This provides a workaround to push on into 10.5.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Further ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 Testing:

Created a couple ArcGIS Server folders to hold map services for Production and Test Web AppBuilder applications.

We can successfully publish an mxd into both folders (AND) use the same map service name such as LandDivisions.

We just have to publish them one at a time so we can use Portal My Content's root folder to move the portal items that are simultaneously created while publishing (Federated) into corresponding Portal for ArcGIS My Content folders (Production & Test).

Then in Portal's My Content folder of Test, added one of the portal items to a new webmap fine.

But when we use the add button to bring in a second map service/portal item such as LandDivisions, Portal lists both items of LandDivisions - you can't tell which one is from which portal content folder just by looking at the list.

Fortunately, we can click on an item in that list and click "Item Details" and it's Overview page includes which Portal folder it's coming from.

Please Vote: ArcGIS Idea to Include more detail in the Portal add data listing or maybe hover pop-up

tcraig-esristaff

JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for this post.  ESRI was not able to identify it as the problem despite several support calls.  I wish bugs were made public so these types of things were easier to track down.  Have you had any problems with 10.5.1?

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have not updated to 10.5.1

Considering the jump from 10.5 to 10.6

0 Kudos
EvaJuhasz
New Contributor III

Thank you Bill Fox for your post. I have just run into the same problem, with ArcGIS Server 10.4.1. Have you updated to 10.6? If yes is it fixed this issue?

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Eva,

Not yet updated from 10.5

Workaround is to create a new database user that only has privileges to view the "duplicate" name feature class.

In the mxd that feature class is connected to using the new user.

-Bill

0 Kudos