Insights Setup for Linux

05-08-2020 12:19 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I´m not sure if this is the right place to write about this but I have some problems or rather found a "bug" while trying to install Insight for Linux.

When running the Insights-Setup.sh out of the box i got the error, that no valid installation of portal or server were found. But I did have a working base installation. I looked at the .sh and apparently it assumes, that the installation directory (or rather the location of the .ESRI.properties file) is in the home directory of the user, which is not the case with my installation. After manually changing that, the installation was started. I still got an error at the end saying that somehow the properties file was not found. The installation itself was successfull, but the .ESRI.properties file was not correctly edited and is almost empty. I could copy the properties file of another installation, that has exactly the same directory structure, but that is of course a pretty bad solution. 

Unfortunately I couldn´t find the problem in the .sh file. Did anyone else have the same problem and found a solution?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GriffinMorgan1
Esri Contributor

Where was your .ESRI.properties file, if not in the user's $HOME directory? Had it been moved or were you installing Insights as a different user than was used for the base install?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did use the same user as in the base install. But I did not install the base install in the $HOME directory of that user, but in a different folder. The .ESRI.properties file was in that install folder.

0 Kudos
GriffinMorgan1
Esri Contributor

That is... unusual. The .ESRI.properties file is supposed to be in the user's $HOME, for detecting existing installs by that user on that machine. That way if the software is installed outside of the default home directory, we know where to find it by referencing the entry in the .ESRI.properties file. I can't think of any reason it would/should be inside the install directory, because we'd have no way to find it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmm, weird. I did use the Enterprise Builder for Linux to make the base installation and used it on several VMs. On all of them the .ESRI.properties file was in the install folder.

0 Kudos