Insights for ArcGIS SQL server database limitation

02-21-2017 07:56 AM
LaszloCsunderlik1
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I have a question about the Insights for ArcGIS. Is there any restriction about the the size of the connected SQL database? Is there a record number limit where the Insights for ArcGIS can't handle the size of the database? And the data handling is working on the SQL server side or on the ArcGIS GIS Server side?

I need help on this topics, beacuse of implementation. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ManviLather1
Occasional Contributor

No there is no such limitation from ArcGIS side.

Its completely depends on the version of SQL server (Express, Standard, Advance) you are using. Say for example : In SQL server express, the size of the database is limited to 10 GB.

LaszloCsunderlik1
New Contributor III

And what about the Insights for ArcGIS application? Can it handle easily for example a massive 10 GB SQL database? If yes how? 

Or everything is depend on the versin of the SQL server? 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The ArcGIS resources mention no such limitation related to the size of the Tables or the Database size itself, so there should not be any limitations as such.

Supported databases—Insights web help Use tab | ArcGIS Enterprise 

It doesn't actually depend on the version of SQL Server, rather the edition of SQL Server matters, as SQL Server Express itself has a size limitation of 10 GB (Esri or Insights has nothing to do with this size limitation).

I have connected to Databases larger than 10GB and it worked fine.

Do remember, that Insights cannot connect to an Enterprise SQL Server geodatabase. It supports simple databases only.

I would suggest that you test on a Testing Environment first and then get back here if you face any roadblocks or performance issues.

LaszloCsunderlik1
New Contributor III

Thank you for the quick answers. 

I have another question. If I linking a server to another in SQL Server (for example PostgreSQL) the Insights will see it? Do I need to create View on Linked Server db?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Insights will not see the tables\views of the Linked DB.

Yes, you can create a View in the SQL Server db, which will pull the data from the Linked Server db and then use that in Insights.