How to verify file handle limits are being read during AGS 10.6.1 install on CentOS 8

05-19-2020 01:00 PM
ToddRemmel1
New Contributor

I understand that for ArcGIS Server to run properly, the file handle limits for the install user are required to be set to 65535 and the number of processes limits set to 25059. The current file handle limit is 4096 and the number of processes limit is 25059. I've updated these limits by editing the /etc/security/limits.conf file as a super user:

arcgis soft nofile 65535
arcgis hard nofile 65535
arcgis soft nproc 25059
arcgis hard nproc 25059

I verified the edited file, viewing them as the 'arcgis' user. In order for the new values to take effect, I should be able to log out and and back in as the arcgis user, verifying using:

ulimit -Hn -Hu

ulimit -Sn -Su

However, I'm still getting the default values of 4096 and 25059... hmmmm, what other file(s) would I need to edit as this is the only step failing in the AGS Diagnostic Tool? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ToddRemmel1
New Contributor

I did find a work around...

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/366352/etc-security-limits-conf-not-applied

Edit /etc/systemd/user.conf for the soft limit and add DefaultLimitNOFILE=1048576
Edit /etc/systemd/system.conf for the soft limit and add DefaultLimitNOFILE=2097152

Not sure if this is the best route.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Todd Remmel‌,

You shouldn't have to modify the systemd in order for the limits to take into effect. Once you've modified the /etc/security/limits.conf as the root user, it is best practice to switch to the ArcGIS installation user. Should you log out of the root user, the changes may not necessarily take affect. 

To guarantee the changes done to /etc/security/limits.conf take affect, make sure you run command "su <arcgis_user>" to switch to the ArcGIS installation user, and then run ulimit -Hn -Hu; ulimit -Sn -Su.

If that still does not work, exiting your remote session in your machine and starting a new session into that machine should pick up the newly set file handle limit and process limit.

Additionally, please find the following documentation on ArcGIS Server's system requirements: ArcGIS Server 10.6.x system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | Documentation for A.... CentOS 7.5 is the latest version of the OS tested against this version of the software. Should you continue to use CentOS 8, please be aware of this should you encounter any issues moving forward.