How to serve 2Tb of image data

Jump to solution
08-26-2015 12:53 PM
GagagDa_Morvi
New Contributor

In my current project there are about 2Tb of image data that is required to be served for viewing purpose. The client viewer would be web based ArcGIS server client. There will be few users using ArcGIS Desktop accessing this data via web services. Most of the date is in Binary GRID format but there is some in GeoTIFF as well as MrSID. There no edit operations on this and we can safely assume that they all are in the same projection system. Also, initially there will be no analysis performed on this dataset. There will be 50 users accessing this data from world-wide locations.

I have technology question on this that I hope some can comment on. What is the best and optimal (from performance point of view) way to serve this data? Would ArcGIS Image Extension be useful in this scenario? Should the raster data be kept in a file system or hould be stored in a geodatabase? I need some inputs on the ESRI technologies to consider along with the high level technical / system architecture. Also, any comments on the corresponding costs would also be welcome.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

You create Mosaic dataset ysing desktop, see here: What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Then you serve it using ArcGIS server. You only need a license to serve it not to create it,

You need a standard license for desktop to create Mosaic Dataset

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

The best way is to build a mosaic dataset and serve it using Image Extension.

I think that you need some extra license if you want to serve MrSID files.

Compressed tif (JPEG compression) is very good format.

You should keep the raster data on disk, the mosaic dataset itself should be in a geodatabase but it is not very big.

Have fun

Mody

0 Kudos
GagagDa_Morvi
New Contributor

Hi Mody -

Thanks for quick response. How mosaic dataset is created - is it created by the Image Extension?

Gagag

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

You create Mosaic dataset ysing desktop, see here: What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Then you serve it using ArcGIS server. You only need a license to serve it not to create it,

You need a standard license for desktop to create Mosaic Dataset

GagagDa_Morvi
New Contributor

Thanks Mody!

0 Kudos