How to restrict access to Default version for some users in ArcMap 10.3

04-06-2016 03:25 AM
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Is there any way to protect default version from editing by some users ? I know that we can set default version to Protected level but it will restrict all the users from editing default version. Please help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
pattylankey
New Contributor

I also have this question have you been able to figure anything out?

0 Kudos
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Not yet... 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 15:26, patty lankey<geonet@esri.com> wrote:

|

GeoNet

|

How to restrict access to Default version for some users in ArcMap 10.3

reply from patty lankey in Enterprise GIS - View the full discussion

I also have this question have you been able to figure anything out?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet

Start a new discussion in Enterprise GIS by email or at GeoNet

Following How to restrict access to Default version for some users in ArcMap 10.3 in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by GeoNet because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from GeoNet, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you looks at these topics?

Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Add logins and users to SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Creating geodatabase user roles—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Create Database User—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

That might help with what you are trying to do.

What we do is have only administrators (or DBOs) be able to modify the default directly, including reconciling and/or performing admin tasks (compress, etc).  We then have versions off the master for general modifications, and if I (as admin) want to temporarily make a few changes, I just spin up another version off the master, make my changes, reconcile and post, and make sure the other editors pull my changes.

The main changes I make directly to default is updating the domain when needed.  I typically try to get everything posted before I do this (although, domains seem to work with versions) and get back to a state of 0.   This probably doesn't work for most agencies, but there are only two of us that access our master.  Everyone else reads from FGDB pulled from the master SDE database.

0 Kudos
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Sorry for late response as I was unable to login due to technical problem on this site..

Thanks for giving your helpful tips but we also have replicas and if I keep DEFAULT version protected in each replica then our sync operation fails because of protected version.

Also as we drag feature class to layer, by default it connects to DEFAULT version and everytime user needs to change their version.

Thus I wanted to know if we can restrict access to default for some users OR is it possible for users to directly connect to a specific version instead of DEFAULT when they drag data to layer ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Adding some more groups for better visibility....

GeodatabaseManaging Data

--- George T.
0 Kudos