How to periodically update my SQL Server database with a live layer?

12-07-2020 09:33 AM
TimStone
New Contributor II

Hello,

My first post in this community.  My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section...if so, please advise the correct section!

I'm using ArcMap10.6 (do not have Pro).

I'm using a live weather layer from here:

https://services9.arcgis.com/RHVPKKiFTONKtxq3/arcgis/rest/services/Active_Hurricanes_v1/FeatureServe...

This live layer updates from time to time and works well.

I'd like to periodically update my own SQL Server database (which can be an enterprise geodatabase if necessary, but if not necessary, that'd be good too).

I have tried using ModelBuilder to make a script that:

1) Deletes the table from my enterprise GDB

2) Adds the (live, updated) table to my enterprise GDB

This works, but when I try to save it as a python script so I can run it on a schedule (once a day), that script does not work.  ESRI tech support says the ability to use a URL in python does not work in ArcMap and I need Pro.

Am I making this too complicated?  Is there a way to simply update the SQL Server database (whether geodatabase or not) table with the live layer ?  (Perhaps once a day)?

Any help appreciated!

thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IvanKozoletov1
New Contributor III

I used live weather feed from Environment Canada and embed it within my app:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/17ca6388cbbe4c03a949265fb98a89ec

What are you trying to accomplish by copying the data from the live feed to your SQL database?

0 Kudos
TimStone
New Contributor II

Hi,

My objective is to service SQL users who do not have any ESRI products that need the weather data for their query purposes.

0 Kudos
IvanKozoletov1
New Contributor III

Then all you need is that Feature Service as it is publicly shared and available to any user. You embed it in your app or as a URL in the attributes. Take a look at that Little Red River app I shared above which was built using ArcGIS Experience Builder. I simply embed the Environment Canada feature service right within my app and live weather available to anyone without ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. First you add that Feature Service to your web map. Then build your web app on utilizing this web map with feature service.

No need to copy it to your own SQL database and update it daily! I'm thinking you're overcomplicating this.

0 Kudos
TimStone
New Contributor II

I have a requirement to populate the data into a SQL table for the users so they can interact with it in their usual way, use their stored procedures, etc.

0 Kudos
TimStone
New Contributor II

Still looking for a solution to periodically update my SQL Server database table (which could be anenterprise GDB) with the data from a live layer service!

0 Kudos