How to migrate published services to a new site

11-13-2015 03:02 PM
CarlosKrefft
Occasional Contributor

I have about 100 Map services on a server with 12 or more data store connections. I need to create a new site and migrate these services over but don't want to have to publish all services.

I've seen ESRI support copy certain folders within the arcgis config directories and rename some files so that the published services show up within a new site. Does anyone know how to do this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It may help to know what version you are using, and if you are upgrading our just migrating over.  Will the server have the same name/ip (that is, is it a replacement machine)?   Or do you plan to have this join a site?

Personally, I have not tried to copy over services to a new machine, but the 10.1+ versions were much easier to update than previous versions (that is, didn't have to recreate services) so it should be possible, although sometimes server name/ip change can cause issues.  So, I have no answer, but the details above will help others.

CarlosKrefft
Occasional Contributor

Well in some cases I want to migrate services during a migration from DEV to PROD and some cases it's an upgrade. I was hoping there was documentation ESRI uses to do these migrations.  I'm sorry but I missed the "details" you provided.

0 Kudos
SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

We created some tools to migrate our services and migration between places.

There are some easy way to do it copying folders etc manually but we always try to avoid human action as much as possible.

Find the code here eea/discomap.ServiceTransferTool · GitHub

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sebastien, thank you for sharing your script.  I plan to test it out at some point.

Questions: The github site mentions "The tool is developed to run under Arcgis 10.2 (Python2.7)". Has anyone tried it with 10.3?  Or, can it be used in 10.2 Desktop to transfer 10.3 services?  I can test this myself, but just wondering if you have any insight.

0 Kudos
SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

It is actually running under 10.3.1

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Great, thanks.  Looks like you've updated the readme.  

SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

Yep. It was a bit confusing,

Thank you

CarlosKrefft
Occasional Contributor

This looks promising! Definitely going to test it out.

0 Kudos