Select to view content in your preferred language

How to configure ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 to start with CentoOS 8

06-08-2020 03:26 PM
Todd
by
Regular Contributor

First, I understand the CentOS 8 linux distro is 'not supported' to run with 10.6.1 yet some of us push the envelope... and I'm hoping this isn't related to CentOS 8...

I cannot get ArcGIS Server to start with the OS and I've followed these steps:

To configure ArcGIS Server to start with the operating system follow these steps:

Within a command shell, switch to root user.

Copy <ArcGIS Server installation directory>/framework/etc/scripts/arcgisserver.service unit file to /etc/systemd/system using the command:

$ cp <ArcGIS Server installation directory>/framework/etc/scripts/arcgisserver.service /etc/systemd/system

Run the following command as root user to automatically create the links in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants:

$ systemctl enable arcgisserver.service

To verify that the systemd service is properly configured, restart the service and check its status.

$ systemctl stop arcgisserver.service
      $ systemctl start arcgisserver.service
      $ systemctl status arcgisserver.service

It fails during the $ systemctl start arcgisserver.service command. See below:

Error:

[root@agsvr ~]# systemctl start arcgisserver.service
Job for arcgisserver.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status arcgisserver.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
[root@agsvr ~]# systemctl status arcgisserver.service
arcgisserver.service - ArcGIS Server Service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/arcgisserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-06-08 18:02:28 EDT; 4min 18s ago
Process: 5903 ExecStart=/home/arcgis/server/startserver.sh (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Jun 08 18:02:28 agsvr systemd[1]: Starting ArcGIS Server Service...
Jun 08 18:02:28 agsvr systemd[1]: arcgisserver.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=203
Jun 08 18:02:28 agsvr systemd[1]: arcgisserver.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 08 18:02:28 agsvr systemd[1]: Failed to start ArcGIS Server Service.

Regards,
Todd
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Hello Todd Remmel‌,

I know it's been a few months but I just came across this thread. Not sure if you were able to get things figured out, but on a fresh CentOS 8.0 installation I was able to install and control ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 via SystemD. There are a couple different log locations you may want to check regarding the unsuccessful startup and I'd be curious if the behavior persists when using the startserver.sh and stopserver.sh scripts in the installation directory. Let me know if you're still wanting to pursue this, version 10.8.1 introduced support for RHEL 8.1, so that may be an additional factor to consider as well.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos
RichLeeson
Emerging Contributor

I think it has something to do with your install user isn't the user starting server. For instance, if you installed server as a user named arcgis, then that is the user that has to run the script.

0 Kudos