How to change the default uppercase of a physicalname of a sde table?

03-03-2015 09:00 AM
DavidStajan
New Contributor III

Hi There,

I have a sqlserver enterprise geodatabase.  When I create a table or featureclass using arcpy, I use camel case syntax for the name. ArcGIS displays the name as I entered it but when I view the dataset through sqlserver management studio I'm noticing the table name is in all uppercase.  When I look at the items table it shows that the 'physicalname' of the table is different than the 'name' of the table.  I'm assuming ArcGIS knows to display the table as that name alias.  Is there a wayto change this default behaviour and have the physical table match the case of the name used in ArcGIS?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Case sensitivity in SQL-Server object naming generated the implementation design you are seeing.  If ArcGIS creates the tables, they will be all-UPPERCASE.

Please also remember that there is no such thing as an "sde table" -- only enterprise geodatabase feature classes.  "There is no Dana, only ZUUL!"

- V

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

David or Timothy Hales​ - this thread should probably be moved to Managing Data   or the Enterprise GIS space  or maybe  Geodatabase  (it's currently in Python)

David, to do that Moving Content​  you can see how Geonet is structured (for future reference) from the link on the main Geonet home page ...directly link is GeoNet Community Structure

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Got it moved to Enterprise GIS

0 Kudos