Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I publish two feature services against the same geodata?

Jump to solution
02-26-2015 01:23 AM
JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

I want to publish and share two feature services to show the same geodata.

• First feature service with all capabilities (update, delete etc.) enabled and share it to a group of users.
  • Second feature service where some capabilities (update, delete etc.) are disabled and share it to another group of users.

I want to use feature service for both and not map service. I would like to publish them on our internal ArcGIS Server.

Any ideas where I can find a guidline or if anyone can explain the main steps.

//Johan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

The problem is solved now and the above scenario works fine!

For some strange reason the database registration for my ArcGIS server wasn't working anymore. It was nicely shown in ArcGIS Server Properties dialog and clicking on the validation button, showed that it was working ok.

But that was wrong, I noticed a warning during the publishing process, saying the data will be copied and that isn't what I want.

So, I removed my Registred Database in ArcGIS Server Properties dialog and added the exact same back again ...and after that it works fine.

I upgraded from ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 to 10.3 a week ago and maybe that is what's causing my 'database regitration issue'.

Anyway, it works fine!

Regards,

Johan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Johan,

After you publish the services, you will need to set up security for your ArcGIS Server instance.  Here is a helpful link:

Configuring ArcGIS Server security—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

You will want to create two different Roles, and apply them to the appropriate service.  For example, you could create a role for the service that you want users to Edit.  You would create this role, add users to this role, and then apply this role to the service.

JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jake, I will use your information once I have figured out how to create two feature services that goes to the same data source.

This is what I tested and I know that it's probably fundamentally wrong, but I'm a GIS n00b:

In ArcMap:

1. Create a feature class in my geodatabase and it adds the layer in 'Table Of Contents'.
  2. Open File-->Share As-->Service...
  3. Publish a feature service with the name MyFeatureServiceReadAndWrite.
  4. Publish a second feature service with the name MyFeatureServiceReadOnly

In Google Chrome:

1. Open the above .../arcgis/rest/service/MyFeatureServiceReadAndWrite
  2. Open the above .../arcgis/rest/service/MyFeatureServiceReadOnly
  3. Open ArcGIS.com Map and add features in both services and confirm that the above services are separated and are now showing the same geodata.

Any ideas how I can create two feature services that points to the same geodata?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

The steps you performed have done this.  You have MyFeatureServiceReadAndWrite and MyFeatureServiceReadOnly both pointing to the same data.

0 Kudos
JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

But I must be doing something wrong and I have tested it several times and they are separated, like this:

Geodata as shown in my feature service called MyGeodataAsReadAndWrite:

Geodata as shown in my feature service called MyGeodataAsReadOnly.

Shouldn't a feature added in one map also be shown in the other map if they share the same underlying data source?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, if it's the same feature class, the services should show the data in the location.  I'm not sure why the data is shifting.

0 Kudos
JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it's initailly based on the same feature class, as I describe above and here:

In ArcMap:

1. Create a feature class in my geodatabase and it adds the layer in 'Table Of Contents'.
  2. Open File-->Share As-->Service...
  3. Publish a feature service with the name MyFeatureServiceReadAndWrite.
  4. Publish a second feature service with the name MyFeatureServiceReadOnly

I must be missing something?

I'm using ArcMap 10.3

My ArcGIS server is a 10.2 and with MS SQL server as geodatabase source.

0 Kudos
JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

The problem is solved now and the above scenario works fine!

For some strange reason the database registration for my ArcGIS server wasn't working anymore. It was nicely shown in ArcGIS Server Properties dialog and clicking on the validation button, showed that it was working ok.

But that was wrong, I noticed a warning during the publishing process, saying the data will be copied and that isn't what I want.

So, I removed my Registred Database in ArcGIS Server Properties dialog and added the exact same back again ...and after that it works fine.

I upgraded from ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 to 10.3 a week ago and maybe that is what's causing my 'database regitration issue'.

Anyway, it works fine!

Regards,

Johan

0 Kudos