Hosted feature layers or hosted feature views?

06-18-2020 12:20 PM
Dixie_MDavis
Occasional Contributor

I originally posted this as a question, but received no responses.  I am re-posting as a discussion to see if I can get any replies.

I need to make a web map to display polygon output from a generalized process that resulted in a tessellated hexagon grid with 30-40 simple attribute values.

• Is it more efficient to create individual feature layers based on each attribute, i.e. resulting in 30-40 hosted feature layers that are each the result of a definition query like fld = n or fld > 0?

• Or, is it more efficient to share the polygon grid index once and then create hosted views based on the attribute values, resulting in 1 hosted feature layer and 30-40 hosted views created view definitions like fld=n or fld > 0?

In other words,

• Is it more efficient to share the index first as a hosted feature layer then create the individual layers as view definitions, so I have 40-50 hosted views?
  • Or, is more efficient to share 40-50 individual web layers by creating definition queries from ArcMap/ArcPro, so that I end up with 40-50 hosted feature layers?

Is there a performance difference between hosted feature layers and hosted feature views? Since I have read in the "Data in ArcGIS" June 2018 white paper that hosted layers are not resource intensive, i.e., a "regular" deployment of Enterprise can easily support many hosted (thousands) layers, is this also true of hosted views?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Best, Dixie.

0 Kudos
0 Replies