Has anyone successfully connected a Linux web adaptor to a Windows ArcServer instance?

10-16-2017 09:00 AM
NicholasReseburg1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to use a webadaptor instance on Linux to connect to ArcServer instance running in Windows and I get a generic error that my login is no good.  The problem is that my login info is good as I can sign into ArcServer manager from my Linux box. The esri help on the subject says it should work.   Additionally, if i use the Webadaptor Java version for windows (Windows tomcat 8.5.23) - it connects easy peasy, 1, 2, 3 with default settings. 

My question is:

Has anyone out there successfully connected a Linux Web adaptor to a Windows ArcServer instance?  If so, did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

My set up:

(Both machines are Hyper-V virtual machines on the same physical server)

Web Adaptor 

• Hyper V Generation 1 machine
  • Centos7
  • esri Web Adaptor 10.4.1 for Linux
  • Tomcat 8.5.23, port 8080
  • Java open sdk 1.8.x
  • port 8080 is open

ArcServer instance

• Hyper V Generation 2 machine
  • Windows 2012 R2
  • ArcServer 10.4.1 Advanced
  • Ports 6080 & 6443 are open
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

With 10.4.1, the highest supported version of Tomcat that will work/is supported is 8.0.32*. That's because after that, Tomcat made changes to how it manages special characters that breaks a lot of workflows. Web adaptor also needs to bind to ports 80/443. 8080 won't work.

http://server.arcgis.com/en/web-adaptor/10.4/install/java-linux/install-arcgis-web-adaptor-portal.ht...

NicholasReseburg1
New Contributor III

Then why does the adaptor work fine in tomcat 8.5.23 in Windows (also tomcat 9.0.1 {beta} - i tested this too) on port 8080?

Here are the requirments for windows tomcat  (http://server.arcgis.com/en/web-adaptor/10.4/install/java-windows/arcgis-web-adaptor-system-requirem...) - but i have it working in Windows with tomcat 8.5.23 even though is says 8.0.38.

Do you have an actual linux web adaptor communicating to a windows Arcserver instance currently that works?

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I do now. Given my test environment, I typically spin up a box of whatever flavor keep everything self contained. Now, I have a windows box with Server, Portal, and two web adaptors, and a Linux box with Tomcat 8.0.32 Server, Portal, and three web adaptors - two pointing at Server/Portal on this box, and the 3rd pointing to ArcGIS Server on Windows.

Keep in mind that 'working' is a relative term, and is not the same as supported. We had to code around some pretty extensive changes in Tomcat in order to support newer versions in 10.6. At 10.6 we've certified Tomcat 7.0.72, 8.0.38, 8.5.6 and 8.5.20. See http://support.esri.com/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwMjU0NA== for an example.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

And actually, after re-reading the doc, looks like the limit for ports and the web adaptor is on the Portal for ArcGIS side rather than the ArcGIS Server side. Apologies for the confusion.

0 Kudos
NicholasReseburg1
New Contributor III

Randal,

thanks!  I installed tomcat 8.0.32 and it still didn't work - but at least i now know that it is my machine and someone out there managed to get it to work!  A little beacon of light to work towards.  Now, I just need to dive in and figure out why my linux instance isn't working.

Thanks for replying to my question - it is good to know there are others out there that can get this working and it isn't a exercise in futility!

0 Kudos