GP service hell

Jump to solution
10-15-2015 12:47 PM
BillChappell
Occasional Contributor II

Alright after 3 days of screwing around with this I'm stumped.

Setup, ArcSDE 10.2 on Oracle 11g... Using ArcGIS desktop 10.3.1, ArcServer 10.3. on iiS.

I've registered the SDE database and a folder \\gis01\gistemp (the folder has temp.gdb and both are open to "everyone" for read/write/modify)

In Arcmap I can make a model or python script, run it and it will work locally.  However when I publish it, it says successful but doesn't write data to either of the registered databases. If I run the service from the REST endpoint, it returns no records. If I use the service as a tool , no records.

As for code: I just created a model, dropped the buffer tool on it, had it use a FC from SDE and the output to the registered FGDB. For grins, I played with the exported Python code below, changed the connection string. The Model, both versions of the connection string work well in ArcMap. and create temp fc, however as a service they run successfully but don't create anything. I closed ArcMap, to avoid schema locks but hitting the rest service endpoint returns nothing,  I've even deleted the temp fc to avoid any conflict in using the service, I've also tried this using ArcMap on the server, without luck.

Any ideas?  

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# dumbtest.py

# Created on: 2015-10-15 15:09:58.00000

#   (generated by ArcGIS/ModelBuilder)

# Description:

# None

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Import arcpy module

import arcpy

# Local variables:

DOHGIS_ESRI_COUNTY_SIMPLE = r"\\GIS01\GISTemp\dohgis@racdev (DEV).sde\DOHGIS.ESRI_COUNTY_SIMPLE"

#DOHGIS_ESRI_COUNTY_SIMPLE = "Database Connections\\dohgis@racdev (DEV).sde\\DOHGIS.ESRI_COUNTY_SIMPLE"

test = "\\\\gis01\\GISTemp\\temp.gdb\\test"

# Process: Buffer

arcpy.Buffer_analysis(DOHGIS_ESRI_COUNTY_SIMPLE, test, "300 Meters", "FULL", "ROUND", "NONE", "", "PLANAR")

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BillChappell

OK, this has been helpful, I checked permissions on my file GDB, checked c::\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisjobs\ and it's creating some of the folders it needs but not all. Permissions have to be right to create the folders. I've checked the arcServer logs (verbose) and check the server properties so my arcpy.addMessages appear, showing it's working with record counts showing selections. even says successful but no data. 

Esri connected today and watched it happen, also checked permissions and logs, end result is a "We'll get back to you."  4 days of frustration will probably end up with a DUH moment and that's the part that's frustrating.  I'll post the fix when it's fixed.. Thx,  Bill

BillChappell

After a week of troubleshooting, one fc didn't have a defined projection, although it was in the right location arcServer had a problem with it. ArcMap was more forgiving in this, once I defined a projection it worked as a service.