GIS Dedicated Server

Jump to solution
11-22-2016 07:49 AM
TirrellBrown
New Contributor II

Hello

I am about to undertake my first GIS in house installation, and I am wondering if I could use the servers we already have in place OR do we need to go out and buy a server dedicated to GIS. The scope of my work is small and honestly the only thing I am trying to do is generate links for data (Images and such) and inputting it into the spreadsheet. I really feel that I do not need a extra server for that. Am I wrong.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Very confusing.

Id really focus on providing a better understanding of GIS business requirements. That scope does not require ArcGIS Server what so ever.  You can generate links for data (images and such) by having your images accessible through a web server (e.g. IIS). 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are those servers good enough?

You could refer ArcGIS 10.4.x for Server system requirements.

Think Location
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

What all do you have on the current servers?  Just data or other programs.  If other ArcGIS programs, remember you will want to keep the versions in sync.   If you are just creating a few services that will be used, not doing any heavy duty geoprocessing and/or a lot of caching on the server, I would think you would be find.....but check Jayanta's link for the version you are wanting to use and make sure the machine at least has the minimum requirements......more is better.

I our shop, we have data and ArcGIS Server and Desktop on one server. Desktop is on there for the convenience (we have concurrent licenses).  We have had our IIS on the same machine, but currently have those separated (because of network changes)....so IIS can be on the same machine.  We have a separate server for our MSSQL servers, but I think in theory you could also have them on the same. 

Just remember the more you put on the machine, the more that could be impacted on reboots or during heavy processing.  But if all that is ok....  ???    You can always test is out, and if it doesn't work think about a new machine at that time. 

The scope of my work is small and honestly the only thing I am trying to do is generate links for data (Images and such) and inputting it into the spreadsheet.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.  Are you planning on creating services to your data, and populating the spreadsheet for a data-inventory for you users?

MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Very confusing.

Id really focus on providing a better understanding of GIS business requirements. That scope does not require ArcGIS Server what so ever.  You can generate links for data (images and such) by having your images accessible through a web server (e.g. IIS). 

TirrellBrown
New Contributor II

Hey guys

Thanks for your responses..after doing many hours of diligent research, I determined that Arc Server is not what I needed. I needed to reconfigure our server to provide a hosting area for data I am trying to link into. Our scope is much to small for Server at this time.