Geoprocessing service with floating point raster input fails without error

08-10-2016 04:40 PM
isburns
New Contributor III

After publishing a Python tool as geoprocessing service, the execution of the GP service from ArcMap fails without an error message. After additional troubleshooting, I narrowed the problem down to using a floating point raster as input to the GP service. I then published the result from the Hillshade tool as-is from ArcToolbox to see if the behavior was the same, and indeed it was; Hillshade as a geoprocessing service works when the input is an integer raster but fails without any error messages when the input is a floating point raster (see attached- the successful result used an integer raster and the failed result used a floating point raster). Note that when setting up the service I have set the Message Level to Info instead of None, so that doesn't explain the lack of an error message. I've tried multiple raster formats including File GDB, GRID, TIFF, and img rasters. I'm running ArcMap 10.4.1 and publishing to ArcGIS Server 10.4.

Is this a bug, or are floating point rasters not supported as input to geoprocessing services? If they are not supported, where is this documented? From what I could find, ArcGIS 10.0 documentation does not specify the raster types that are supported (see here) and neither does the 10.4 documentation (see here).

Thanks

Shea

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Interesting since the hillshade tool is supposed o return an integer raster Hillshade—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
isburns
New Contributor III

Dan,

The output of hillshade is an integer raster, but it's when the input is a floating point raster that the problem occurs.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sorry, missed the 'input'

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Does the server log have any errors?

Can you run the hillshade as a GP from ArcMap (not as a service) on the same data?

0 Kudos
isburns
New Contributor III

The hillshade does work using the same data when run from ArcToolbox in ArcMap.

In ArcGIS Server Manager, there are three SEVERE level entries and nothing else in the logs. I think the first entry results in the subsequent two entries. There is no error report in the logs directory that Manager instructs me to check. Here are the entries in the logs:

Entry 1

Level: Severe
Time: Aug 11, 2016, 11:12:58 AM
Message: Instance of the service 'agwa/HillShade.GPServer' crashed. Please see if an error report was generated in 'C:\arcgisserver\logs\MUDFLOW\errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file.
Source: agwa/HillShade.GPServer 

Entry 2

Time: Aug 11, 2016, 11:13:00 AM
Message: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.ArcGISServiceException: Could not service request. at com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.impl.GPServerBean.handleRequest(GPServerBean.java:197) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor6100.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) at org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.ReflectionInvocationContext$Invocation.invoke(ReflectionInvocationContext.java:162) at org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.ReflectionInvocationContext.proceed(ReflectionInvocationContext.java:144) at org.apache.openejb.monitoring.StatsInterceptor.record(StatsInterceptor.java:164) at org.apache.openejb.monitoring.StatsInterceptor.invoke(StatsInterceptor.java:92) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor6099.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) at org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.ReflectionInvocationContext$Invocation.invoke(ReflectionInvocationContext.java:162) at org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.ReflectionInvocationContext.proceed(ReflectionInvocationContext.java:144) at org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.InterceptorStack.invoke(InterceptorStack.java:122) at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer._invoke(StatelessContainer.java:221) at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(StatelessContainer.java:174) at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(StatelessContainer.java:136) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.EjbRequestHandler.doEjbObject_BUSINESS_METHOD(EjbRequestHandler.java:238) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.EjbRequestHandler.processRequest(EjbRequestHandler.java:129) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.EjbDaemon.processEjbRequest(EjbDaemon.java:196) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.EjbDaemon.service(EjbDaemon.java:149) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.EjbServer.service(EjbServer.java:71) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.KeepAliveServer$Session.service(KeepAliveServer.java:213) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.KeepAliveServer.service(KeepAliveServer.java:233) at org.apache.openejb.server.ejbd.EjbServer.service(EjbServer.java:66) at org.apache.openejb.server.ServicePool$2.run(ServicePool.java:91) at org.apache.openejb.server.ServicePool$3.run(ServicePool.java:120) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) Caused by: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.ArcGISServiceException: Could not service request. at com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.util.EJBBase.handleRequestBase(EJBBase.java:601) at com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.impl.GPServerBean.b(GPServerBean.java:331) at com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.impl.GPServerBean.handleRequest(GPServerBean.java:192) ... 29 more
Source: Soap

Entry 3

Time: Aug 11, 2016, 11:13:00 AM
Message: Error handling request to service 'agwa/HillShade.GPServer'. Could not service request.
Source: Soap

Thanks

Shea

0 Kudos
isburns
New Contributor III

We are planning on submitting a support request today, but I'm curious if anyone else can replicate this behavior on a different server. Dan Patterson‌ or Mody Buchbinder‌ (or anyone else), are you able to publish a Hillshade GP service and successfully run it with a floating point raster input?

Thanks

Shea

0 Kudos