Geoprocessing Service Stops Working

12-29-2016 07:41 AM
LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

I have two geoprocessing services that are giving me fits. One of them is an extract data tool and one creates a csv. If I restart them they run solid for about a day, but after that I get a few different results. 

• The extract data tool will look like it runs fine, but then when you open the newly downloaded features it's an empty feature class. 
  • The CSV creating service runs fine until the part where a query is introduced, it then says it's an invalid query.

If I go into my ArcGIS Server Manager and hit the "Save and Restart" button, they are recycled and run fine for another day.

I've played with the recycling settings in the processes tab but nothing seems to make a difference. I have a bunch of web and feature services that run just fine. It only seems to be the geoprocessing services.

Below are the errors that show for some test geoprocessing services that I have set up.

It seems like something is stopping the connection files on my ArcGIS Server from being able to hit my SDE data. I do have scripts that kill connections every night, but the connection files should still work once they've run, I would think at least.

Data Extraction Service

Submitted.
Executing...
ERROR 000732: Area of Interest: Dataset D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Test\Extract_TEST.GPServer\extracted\v101\ADMIN.sde\CROOK.DBO.data_extent does not exist or is not supported The value does not exist. The value is empty. ERROR 000732: Area of Interest: Dataset D:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Test\Extract_TEST.GPServer\extracted\v101\ADMIN.sde\CROOK.DBO.data_extent does not exist or is not supported
Failed.

CSV Creating Service

Submitted.
Executing...
Executing (ParcelBufferSelection): Model2 "maptaxlot = '1522000000600'" "750 Feet" d:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisjobs\test\mailinglabelstest_gpserver\j41d3fadfd33345ddbec3b9eb7089aa87\scratch\scratch.gdb\parcels_Select_NEW d:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisjobs\test\mailinglabelstest_gpserver\j41d3fadfd33345ddbec3b9eb7089aa87\scratch\SELECT_NEW.xls
Start Time: Thu Dec 29 06:35:28 2016
Executing (Model2): Model2 "maptaxlot = '1522000000600'" "750 Feet" d:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisjobs\test\mailinglabelstest_gpserver\j41d3fadfd33345ddbec3b9eb7089aa87\scratch\scratch.gdb\parcels_Select_NEW d:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisjobs\test\mailinglabelstest_gpserver\j41d3fadfd33345ddbec3b9eb7089aa87\scratch\SELECT_NEW.xls
Executing (Select Layer By Attribute): SelectLayerByAttribute MailingLabelsTEST\CROOK.DBO.parcels CLEAR_SELECTION #
Succeeded at Thu Dec 29 06:35:28 2016 (Elapsed Time: 0.00 seconds)
Executing (Select): Select MailingLabelsTEST\CROOK.DBO.parcels d:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgisjobs\test\mailinglabelstest_gpserver\j41d3fadfd33345ddbec3b9eb7089aa87\scratch\scratch.gdb\parcels_Select_NEW "maptaxlot = '1522000000600'"
ERROR 000358: Invalid expression maptaxlot = '1522000000600'
Failure to access the DBMS server
The item was not found.
Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [CROOK.sde.GDB_Items]
Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [CROOK.sde.GDB_Items]
The table was not found. [parcels_Select_NEW]
Failed to execute (Select).
Failed at Thu Dec 29 06:35:29 2016 (Elapsed Time: 1.08 seconds)
Failed to execute (Model2).
Failed at Thu Dec 29 06:35:29 2016 (Elapsed Time: 1.35 seconds)
Failed to execute (ParcelBufferSelection).
Failed at Thu Dec 29 06:35:29 2016 (Elapsed Time: 1.36 seconds)
Failed.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JessicaGould
New Contributor III

Did you ever find a solution to this?  We are having the same issue.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you extracting SDE data like the original poster?

Does it start failing at the same time every day and then after that you need to restart the service in order for the service to run properly again?

0 Kudos
JessicaGould
New Contributor III

We created the service yesterday, it was working and then when we came in today, it was not working.  When I restarted it, it started working again, so we'll check it next week to see if it keeps happening.

The service is running a network trace on data in SDE, but not extracting any data.  We have a script that disconnects all connections at 6am daily and are wondering if it is related to that.

0 Kudos
LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jessica,

We also disconnect users each night, so that is possible. Our work around was simply to run a restart python script each morning. This has resolved the issue for us.

0 Kudos
JessicaGould
New Contributor III

Oh awesome, thank you so much. That’s what we were thinking of doing, so I’m happy to hear that works for you!

0 Kudos
CarolineBlack
New Contributor II

Hi Levi and Jessica - we have a very issue also using the data extract tool as a go service. We have times when the service fails and also have nightly scripts. 

When you say you use a python script to restart - is this because the service is actually stopped each morning? Our service is still running but failing. I’m wondering if you are using python to just restart the service and that resolves the issue for you guys?

thanks for any info!

caroline

0 Kudos
LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

Hi Caroline,

The service was never stopped, it was constantly running. It would just not run properly after awhile and we would have to go into arcgis server manager and restart the service. It sounds like you are having the same issue, and restarting the service should fix the issue. To test you can go into your ArcGIS Server manager, click on the service that is failing and click the "Save & Restart" button.

0 Kudos
CarolineBlack
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for your kind response! I will try just doing a restart next time it fails and see if it sorts it!

Thank you again!

Caroline

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
SergioFernandez
New Contributor

Hello.  Did you manage to solve this without having to restart the service every time?

I have a similar problem, but not with Data Extraction, it's a service that we published from a python script.  It works fine in ArcMap, we published it and it works fine at firts, but late in the day it gives an error related to the geodatabase connection.  If I restart the service it works fine again.  

I cannot restart every time because the services is not used just once or twice a day, the idea is to run it several times a day by different users.

Thanks!

0 Kudos