Select to view content in your preferred language

Geodata Service with 2-way Replication

02-18-2015 06:35 AM
mpboyle
Regular Contributor

I'm trying to setup a geodata service and use it as a means for 2-way geodatabase replication.  I don't have any problem creating the geodata service from a versioned SDE geodatabase.  However, I haven't been able to create a replica geodatabase and I'm not entirely sure why.

My goal is to publish a geodata service from a SDE gdb which other entities can use to create a 2-way replica and we can sync our edits back and forth...so as to have a common dataset for editing.  Unless I'm mistaken, this should be doable...?

I have the following questions about the workflow and was wondering if anyone has experience using a similar approach and could explain their methods?

1) When publishing the geodata service, do you use a versioned connection or a connection to the DEFAULT version?  Are there any permissions needed by the user the service is published from other than being able to edit the dataset?

2) What tool in ArcToolbox do you use to create the replica (Create Replica or Create Replica From Server)?  Or is there an alternate workflow for creating the replica through ArcMap?

3) Are there any necessary permissions within SDE that I'm overlooking?

Environment:

1) SDE = 10.1

2) ArcGIS Server = 10.3

3) RDBMS = SQL Server 2008 R2

Thanks in advance!

25 Replies
mpboyle
Regular Contributor

Jake Skinner​,

Why is it after I sync changes between the 2 gdbs, and then run a reconcile and post to the DEFAULT version, the edits are not being pushed to the DEFAULT version?  The edits do show in the edit version.  Also, a compress is not pushing edits to the base table.

Does it matter in a 2-way replication which gdb is gdb1 and which is gdb2?...which is a sender and which is a receiver?

I'm trying to automate the process using python.  Below are the sequence of steps I'm taking:

1) Block connections to my sde gdb

2) Compare schemas

3) Sync changes (between sde gdb and geodata service)

4) Reconcile and post edits to default version

5) Analyze datasets

6) Compress gdb

7) Rebuild indexes

😎 Analyze datasets

9) Accept connections to sde gdb

One other quick question...does the version automatically get pulled across when creating a replica?...i.e. if your connection file is connected to a version, will that version get created in the gdb receiving the replica?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I was able to get the base table to update after synchronizing after the reconcile/post.  Ex:

1) Block connections to my sde gdb

2) Compare schemas

3) Sync changes (between sde gdb and geodata service)

4) Reconcile and post edits to default version

5) Sync changes a second time after reconcile/post

6) Analyze datasets

7) Compress gdb

😎 Rebuild indexes

9) Analyze datasets

10) Accept connections to sde gdb

0 Kudos
mpboyle
Regular Contributor

Jake Skinner​,

The difference you have in your sequence is you sync changes after doing a reconcile and post.  Does this flush out the sync versions in sde?  To me, that seems to be the issue, or hang-up on my end.  I have sync receive and sync send versions in the sde_versions table with the 'edit' version as the parent.  Therefore, I'm unable to delete the 'edit' version because there are child versions.

0 Kudos
WilliamWang
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jake,

Have you ever setup replication in an ip-sec environment. we have been testing replication using GDS (geodata service) for quite some time and it remained in the testing phase. Our IT Director would like us to look into setting replication using ip-sec so GDS is not in play.

So far our replication using GDS test scenario is very much similar to what Matthew described in scenario 1, yet, we continue running into 582 error code; therefore, the topic of ip-sec came up.

I love to learn yours inputs on ip-sec setup for replication. Thank you

0 Kudos
TuanVu1
New Contributor

Dear William Wang,

But I try to do against you that mean I do twoway replica from geodata service to Enterprise database but I got fault.

But I do one way replica from Geodata service to Enterprise Database worked!

Please help me.

Thank you so much in advance !

Vu Huu Tuan

0 Kudos
APANetworks
New Contributor II

What sort of licencing is required overall for this to work?